Why I will vote no on the XJT TA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jetstream

I just found, on the FAA website, a study done by the University of North Dakota for the FAA. Here are some of the findings:

1. Between 1991 and 2011 the number of commercial pilot certificates issued fell by 49%.

2. During the same period, the number of ATP's issued fell by 45%.

3. The number of new pilots required between 2012 and 2031 is estimated at 307,714.

4. The estimated pilot shortfall between 2012 and 2031 is 38,178.

5. The study was completed before the new rules requiring an ATP to be hired at an airline. The report states that if the rule is put into effect 54% of aspiring pilots say they would reconsider their career choice. If even half that number actually do so the pilot shortfall would be increased by 74,022 pilots.

Folks, we possess a job skill that is about to be in extremely short supply at a time when demand for it will be at or near an all time high. Why would we even consider locking ourselves into an agreement that restricts our earnings for at least five years and longer depending on how long the next negotiations take?

Hold the line. Pilots are about to be in the drivers seat.

I agree. There will be a shortage like years ago when UA would hire 250hr pilots... Except this time they cant!! I would expect in 10 years that it will be like it is for pharmacists now. Signing bonuses. Moving expenses ect.... Cant wait for that day. Think it has already started with foreign airlines. I suspect more will open and tap into the US pilot market.. Still say i would love to be based in LA flying for Qantas Airlines!! On the TA topic seems a easy no vote... Anytime they split the fleet (out times differences) that leads to no good...

What he said. It's the only thing that keeps our mgmt up at night. Somehow they think creating a substandard environment for pilots will fix the company's woes. They're so blinded by strong-arming labor and continuing the downward pressure that they're blind about how they're destroying their own company.

Latest resources

Back