Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why has the media spent so much time on the nw pilots??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Av8tor91

Why has the media spent so much time on the NW pilots that overshot their destination?? Earlier the same week of the NW incident, Delta, a B-767, had landed on a taxiway (MIKE) in Atlanta. How come the media has not giving the Delta pilots the same attention?? Perhaps because there was an FAA check airmen onboard!! Which eventually became sick. I believe, landing on a taxiway, in the dark at a major airport, is a lot worse than overshooting a destination. For the Delta pilots, thank God it was early in the morning and it was not rush hour. Although, I happened to be in the area the same morning and time of the Delta incident. I was returning from Dubai and would hate to think my flight could have been on that very same taxiway.
The airline industry is loosing many quality and highly qualified experienced crew members due to the lack of salary, scheduling, benefits and pensions. Thus, the Buffalo accident, landing on taxiways, overshooting destinations and so on. Years ago, flying on an airline it was a pleasure. The passengers were given the well deserve customer service and everyone were polite. Also, all of these incidents were unheard of, specially with the old technology.
As a pilot, I understand we have to start somewhere. But, as long as the airlines (commuters) continue accepting low time pilots (300-400 hours) and paying them food stamp salary, management and CEOs will continue pocketing the pilot's salaries. The inexperienced pilots, should be flight instructing to reinforced everything they have learned from flight school. Then, climb the latter to be able to compete and demand higher salaries from commuters. Most charter companies insurances requires crew members to have at least 2,500 hours total time. How come the commuters can't do the same?
Hopefully, after the new FAA rule takes affect early in 2010, the airlines (commuters) will considered increasing the pilots salaries as well. If we, as pilots, stand up for ourselves and not accept such of a low salary, perhaps it will help us to improve the salary situation and many more of the benefits as well. If doctors, lawyers, surgeons etc are able to do it, why not us??
For those who disagreed, please be gentle with me.

Well-

It is actually more about the drama.... People always hear about runway incursions (or taxiway incursions-as in this case.) Kinda old hat.... The novelty of the laptop situation is something new and unique.

The taxiway thing probably had a much greater chance of loss-of-life, but you have to far and wide to come up with something more unique than a couple of guys jacking around with their laptops for about 3 hours-when they were supposed to be flying a big-ass airliner.

News monkeys have no idea which one is more dangerous-they don't care, they actually only care about novelty and/or drama. That is all that matters to the dumbed-down masses these days-that is what gets ratings.

-Hell, just look at all the drama in Washington-a total Marxist in the white house, who ever would have guessed?

americans are suckers for sensationalism. John&kate, lindsay lohan, omg what's brittney wearing?! we can only hope to teach our kids better.

Last edited:
There's a rumor now the FAA is looking into allowing pilots to take a 40 minutes nap. While the other pilot fly. Who ever thought, we could go to go, get to FL400 and take a nap while on the job, LOL. Who is coming up with this?? That's going to go very well for the low and inexperienced pilots if the sh...t hits the fan.
Why not allow these pilots to get their rest while on the ground and hire the pilots needed to compensate?? It's not about the money, because management and CEOs' are still getting millions and bonuses and pensions.

I believe, landing on a taxiway, in the dark at a major airport, is a lot worse than overshooting a destination. For the Delta pilots, thank God it was early in the morning and it was not rush hour.

Thank God they floated a bit and didn't clip the GS antenna.

People don't understand the difference between taxiways and runways. It's all runways...and at some point in time that magically turns into a tarmac.

People understand (or at least are able to grasp) and the media is easily able to sensationalize a crew overflying an airport.

edit: and as FDJ alluded to- appropriate communications restraint weren't followed by the FO, the NTSB, the FAA, or local authorities. They all caved to the pressure of the media looking for an easy story.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back