Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FO 4 Life

2 Mai Tai minimum
Look folks, you can say what you will about low time/experience. There has always been instances of this. My old roommate got hired at Express late 95 or early 96 with 1500 tt. He was based in CLE and upgraded in 6 months (as was the norm) without ever having flown in that kind of winter weather.

It was there a lot prior to 9/11. I walked into a crewroom with him one time and wondered if some of the people were old enough to drive.

"I'm not going to fly on/let my family fly on airline xyz." blah, blah , blah. I started at 15/hr at Eagle. Does that make them a bottom feeder?

It's a cyclical business and right now we have higher time pilots at most places.

Lack of vigilance would be better than saying anything else.

my 2 cents.

Low time is cool, we have all been there and done that.

Point is: Keep instructing 'till you learn how to fly and how to recover from a basic stall.

Additionally the airlines need to screen applicants more stringently, and I personally believe ATP mins are a good starting place for a newhire at a regional.

There needs to be at least a good chance to develop some command and resource skills before youre allowed to hop in an airliner. Then the interview should help weed out the oddballs, and the training program should be good enough to develop those skills (not just checking- TRAINING) to have a good product on the line.

Additionally the airlines need to screen applicants more stringently, and I personally believe ATP mins are a good starting place for a newhire at a regional.

Even though I was hired at Air Wisconsin with just over 1000 hours (as I imagine many on FI were by their regional jobs) I don't think its unreasonable to require that airline pilots to hold an Airline Transport Pilot certificate.

The issue, however, isn't as much that pilots meet the flight time requirements for it, but that they have enough varied flight experience in that 1500 hours to be contributing crewmembers...not 1 hour 1500 times.

In order to give pilots an avenue to achieve that experience other than flight instructing, I think lowering the minimums for non-passenger 135 IFR operations (ie freight) from 1200tt to 750 or 800tt would be appropriate.

Oh yeah, mods, this new format sucks.

Everyone should fly part 135 on-demand single pilot freight. If you can do that, then you can be an airline pilot.

Latest resources

Back