Why Do We Keep Buying From Brazil?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DH106

I know? it's not a "Major" topic. But, this affects any of us who fly to international, third-world destinations:

"Brazil's Supreme Court recently upheld the conviction of U.S. pilots Joe Lepore and Jan Paul Paladino in the September 2006 midair over the Amazon that brought down a Gol Linhas A?reas 737 with 154 people aboard. Under a legal cooperation treaty, the sentence of three years, one month and 10 days would be served in the U.S. ? Two air traffic controllers who failed to avert the collision received lighter sentences in Brazil's federal and military courts. Despite a request from the Sinop judge for indictment of the controller who issued the clearance that put the Legacy on a collision course, prosecutors failed to move against him."

My understanding is that it was NOT the pilots' fault. It was the Brazilian controllers' fault.

Why is the State Department NOT telling the Brazilians, "Hey, how 'bout this? you're going to put two American pilots in jail for something that wasn't their fault? No problem? we're going to stop buying all those Brazilian jets. Finished. Done."

Why is the State Department NOT telling the Brazilians, "Hey, how 'bout this? you're going to put two American pilots in jail for something that wasn't their fault? No problem? we're going to stop buying all those Brazilian jets.

Well, why ? Because the lives of a few Americans put up against big money or big politics just don't matter. That's why.

If the Brazilians had stood those two pilots against a wall and executed them, it still wouldn't matter.

Ask the four Americans held in an Iranian prison how much they matter to our Imperial Federal Government.

Oh...that's right. You CAN'T ask 'em cuz...THEY'RE...IN...AN...IRANIAN...PRISON !!!!!

Always have your CP sign off on an application for a "duplicate" passport. As an International Pilot, this is allowed. I always kept my Dup secreted away in case I had to make a sprint for the embassy.

Latest resources

Back