Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why do "they" need access to my military medical records?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chaingang

Just wondering why prior military members have to give permission for the airline they're interviewing with to be able to access their military medical records. They don't ask for access to all of my buddies civilian medical records! So what's the deal?

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure the DOD won't be handing them out to some airline just because you signed some piece of paper. Besides, if your records were stored in New Orleans, they are probably long gone anyway.

chaingang said:
Just wondering why prior military members have to give permission for the airline they're interviewing with to be able to access their military medical records. They don't ask for access to all of my buddies civilian medical records! So what's the deal?
What crapbag company is asking for this? None of the companies I've interviewed with asked for military medical records. An FAA Medical and their own medical exam (if they do one for potential hirees) is all they have a right to know about a candidates medical history. If they did demand military medical records, my answer would be "pound sand."

Your military medical records fall under the same privacy laws as do civilian medical records. The only thing they can legally ask for is whether or not you were discharged under Honorable conditions.

Don't tell them to pack sand though. Tell them that you do not have copies and that request would have to go through proper military channels. May take a long time. That is to say that the military has not lost them in the first place.

Good Luck.

Some military pilots will retire or leave with a service connected disability. One of the most common is "hearing loss". Typically 10% disability which means you may get a small amount of money that is tax exempt if approved for the disabilty. Most job applications (aviation and non-aviation) ask the question "Are you presently disabled or receiving any kind of compensation that is disabled" or something to that effect.

If you check "No", and later they find out you are receiving disable pay/pension, you have made a false statement on your app and may face the consequences.

As others have said, the military medical record system is less than desired. But I can't speak for any improvements made in the last 5-10 years.

Carry On.

RoughAir said:
Some military pilots will retire or leave with a service connected disability. One of the most common is "hearing loss". Typically 10% disability which means you may get a small amount of money that is tax exempt if approved for the disabilty. Most job applications (aviation and non-aviation) ask the question "Are you presently disabled or receiving any kind of compensation that is disabled" or something to that effect.

If you check "No", and later they find out you are receiving disable pay/pension, you have made a false statement on your app and may face the consequences.

As others have said, the military medical record system is less than desired. But I can't speak for any improvements made in the last 5-10 years.

Carry On.

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, employers are prohibited from asking questions about an applicant's disabilities during the pre-employment process. Therefore, employers may not ask such questions as "Do you have any disabilities that would interfere with your ability to do the job?", "Have you ever filed a workman's compensation claim?" or "Will you need a reasonable accommodation to perform this job?" If the applicant has an obvious disability, or discloses a hidden disability to the employer during the course of the interview, the employer may appropriately ask the candidate how he or she will perform particular job functions that would likely be impacted by the disability, or whether reasonable accommodations will be needed. It is legal for an employer to share with an applicant a list of the duties involved in the position, and to ask whether the candidate is capable of performing these duties. It is also legal to ask about a candidate's attendance record in previous jobs, as there may be many reasons other than disability for poor attendance.

RoughAir said:

True; but service related disability is used for determining VA benefits eligibility. It's not always a real, physical handicap it the traditional connotation. Your point about dishonesty is well taken however.

Happy New Year All!
VVJM265

chaingang said:
Just wondering why prior military members have to give permission for the airline they're interviewing with to be able to access their military medical records...

Something doesn't sound right. In the United States a compnay can't go into anything medical or disablity related about a candidate until after an offer of employment has been made.

And even if an offer has been made, I find it worrisome that companies would make such an invasive request.

My DD214 says I'm honorably discharged. I assume if I got out on a medical discharge that a notation would appear on my DD214 to that effect. With ADA the only thing they can require is that you posess a 1st class medical. Even if you retired with some sort of serivce connected disability the only thing that should matter is whether or not you have the FAA medical. Consider the case of someone who collects a disability pension because they have some injury that prevents them from arduous physical activity like what you'd go through in Special Operations. So they can't rappel out of a Chinook, jump out of a C-130, or lug a 60 pound pack for 15 miles through dense jungle. Neither could the majority of people reading this post. Howver if they can manage a rollerbag and Jepp case they can handle the job.

Latest resources

Back