Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

earl

john steinbeck rocks
So why was it? Were we young and naive? I went through Mother Rucker in 1990 and all the folks I have been in contact with are now flying fixed wing. I am flying fixed wing. Is this a young man's game or is it an economic reality that there is more opportunity in fixed wing? When I went in I did not know the difference between an airplane and a helicopter and just thought helicopters were "cool."
GREEN FLIGHT--WE STEAL THE SHOW!

earl

earl said:
So why was it? Were we young and naive? I went through Mother Rucker in 1990 and all the folks I have been in contact with are now flying fixed wing. I am flying fixed wing. Is this a young man's game or is it an economic reality that there is more opportunity in fixed wing? When I went in I did not know the difference between an airplane and a helicopter and just thought helicopters were "cool."
GREEN FLIGHT--WE STEAL THE SHOW!

earl

They are cool.

Fixed-wing pays the bills and is more stable than rotor. God knows I'd love to have a great EMS job flying helicopters in Florida, rather than fixed-wing corporate aviation. But I've gotta feed the family.

A big difference in pay from an EMS or PHI job vs fixed wing. After upgrade at a major airline to captain you can buy a surplus OH-58. Matter of fact you can do an inquiry thru the FAA online data base and find your former unit helicopters if they are now in civil service. unfortunately my favorite 20428 is spraying crops in CA.

"Helicopters are for people who like to fly, but have no place to go."

Sound familiar? :)

I have a few hours in an R22 and I LOVED rotor-wing flying. It would be, in fact, my first choice of an aviation job, except that I'd never get a job doing it. The few jobs that are available are competed for by ex-Army pilots with thousands of hours of turbine-multi RW time.

Lotsa fun, though. :D

Minh

Snakum said:
I have a few hours in an R22 and I LOVED rotor-wing flying. It would be, in fact, my first choice of an aviation job, except that I'd never get a job doing it. The few jobs that are available are competed for by ex-Army pilots with thousands of hours of turbine-multi RW time.

Lotsa fun, though. :D

Minh
Minh, Robbie guys are breaking into the industry. The offshore companies don't make a big production out of it but they have and are hiring their pick of Robbies with @1000 hrs give or take. You don't have to be ex-mil or have 1000 hrs PIC turbine anymore to get an entry-level in the gulf pool.

That's good info to have ... thanks. That'd be a great gig. Very demanding flying, too, it seems to me.

I'm trying to get a guard UH-60 Crew Chief slot right now, and I will pursue the RW rating down the road whether I get in or not. Who knows where I may wind up, aviation job-wise. Choppers would be a lot of fun. :)

Minh

Latest resources

Back