Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why do airways have more then one number?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rally

A couple CFI's and I were discussing something. On airways (at least in Florida) There will often be multiple numbers. Like V-529-239 etc

Which airway is which? What do you file? Why not just have one number?

Thanks

Because they start in different places, they come together at some navaid or intersection, and then they split to different destinations. Just like state highways, and interstates.

Look at your intended route of flight, and use the airway that best suits you. If your flight is so short that the whole flight is over a route with multiple airways, just pick one. It doesn't matter.

Airways overlap one another and merge/converge for some legs. This makes a lot of the "MEA" type calculations (cartography) much easier and NAVAID connections simpler and more direct. This makes routing MUCH easier. Isn't this self evident?

Think of the railroad system and how it merges and diverges to different destinations.

You file the most convenient, direct route. IOW's find the airway which links the two destinations best.

...and you're a 2300 hr. CFII / ATP? :confused:

A couple CFI's and I were discussing something. On airways (at least in Florida) There will often be multiple numbers. Like V-529-239 etc

Which airway is which? What do you file? Why not just have one number?

Thanks

short answer...some sections of an airway are shared by other converging airways.

Airways overlap one another and merge/converge for some legs. This makes a lot of the "MEA" type calculations (cartography) much easier and NAVAID connections simpler and more direct. This makes routing MUCH easier. Isn't this self evident?

Think of the railroad system and how it merges and diverges to different destinations.

You file the most convenient, direct route. IOW's find the airway which links the two destinations best.

...and you're a 2300 hr. CFII / ATP? :confused:

I asked many people this question and they didn't know so don't poo poo me. BTW....if it made sense. Then I guess when I drive on the interstate. the signs should read I-4-I-75-I-95. Really makes perfect sense. NOT.

I asked many people this question and they didn't know so don't poo poo me. BTW....if it made sense. Then I guess when I drive on the interstate. the signs should read I-4-I-75-I-95. Really makes perfect sense. NOT.

Your answer is in post #4, very simple.

While I-4 intersects with I-75 in Tampa and I-95 at Daytona Beach, it does share a route with either of them. Although both I-95 and I-75 have their southern terminus in Miami, the points of origin are a few miles apart and that is as close as they get with the other end of I-75 being the Canadian border at Sault Ste Marie and I-95 ending near Houlton Maine.

Let me give you an example in my old neck of the woods. If you drive north from Ogden to Tremonton Utah, that section is labeled I-84W and I-15 N (I-85E and I-15S going the other direction). I remember a sign in my hometown of Mesa, AZ being labeled as about 3 different US highways and a couple of state highways.

Sorry man, I realized I insulted you and and I suppose the friends you've asked. But it just seems intuitive, in fact I doubt there's even any explanation of this detail in any FAA handbook.

I'm guessing you haven't flown long distances on airways very much.

Carpe Diem!

....not per diem. ;)

How bout this, why more than one or two numbers to name the airway? The east coast high jepp chart is hard enough to read, why not just jet 1 or jet 2 or jet 3 instead of 548 or 986 or 349.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back