• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why did we pick TL 18.000ft?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well,yes. If the local altimeter setting is 29.91 or less then FL180 is unusable. At 28.91 FL190 is unusable but the hurricane you would be in would probably be a bigger problem.<grin>

About 2 months ago I was given FL180 DTW-MDW with local alimeters at around 2985... I querried the center controller and he said it was fine since there was no other traffic in our area and he could guarantee separation. FWIW...

Well as some us know from ops such as in Europe, a transition LEVEL is where we switch from local barometric to 29.92 (climbing). And transition ALTITUDE is changing from standard 29.92 to local barometric.

You have that backward. You have to be at QNE 1013.2 leaving the Transition Altitude on the way up, and on the local QNH leaving the Transition Level on the way down. You don't have to wait to pass either the transition Altitude or level to change. You should change when the controller gives you the clearance. Not sure what the transition altitude or level is? JUST LISTEN TO WHAT THE CONTROLLER SAYS!!! On descent the controller will say the altitude in feet followed by the QNH, descend to 4000 on the QNH 1021. If you were at FL60 you should start the descent and change to 1021, no reason to wait for the Transition Level. On departure climbing to 4000 feet and the controller says climb to FL70 you should set your altimeters to 1013.2. The only caution on the climb is if the local QNH is lower than 1013 and you are flying a NADP1(ICAO A) climb profile for noise you should wait to your flap retract altitude or you will start your clean up below the required altitude and increase the possibility of a noise violation.

About 2 months ago I was given FL180 DTW-MDW with local alimeters at around 2985... I querried the center controller and he said it was fine since there was no other traffic in our area and he could guarantee separation. FWIW...

So in effect the controller gave you a block altitude 17,000/FL180. Unusual but nice of him/her.

regarding the question of a foreign pilot possibly becoming confused in the descent, a controller wont issue an altimeter when he gives a descent to FL180, and WILL issue one when he issues a descent to 17,000 (one-seven-thousand) so the pilot would pickup on that. In my experience, at least.

Latest resources

Back