• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

why did i do this again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm stuck living with my parents because I can't afford to live otherwise. Therefore, there are very limited number of airlines that I can go to as a result. And they are all asking for more hours than I have.

I don't understand that. You can commute to pretty much any airline.

College should be free if you get good grades.

It can be, but you won't find academic scholarships at ERAU, UND, etc. Those schools told me they didn't need to offer academic scholarships to attract students. The state university told me I could get a degree for free; they'd even pay for student housing and food. Easiest decision I ever made.

ever thought about the military?

Dude, give them 3 years, and they give you $65k towards repayment of college loans......

s1_college_loan_repayme.gif
The Army College Loan Repayment Program makes paying off your student loans easier.
s2_active_duty_benefit.gif
  • Up to $65,000 for Soldiers who enlist full time in the Army for three or more years
s2_army_reserve_benefit.gif
  • Up to $20,000 for Soldiers who enlist in the Army Reserve for six years

Actually, I have taken the recommendations on this message board. I've been studying the CFI material, and trying to locate a CFI that is willing to work with me to get me my CFI certification. I can't tell you how many CFIs out there told me to go back to Florida and get it there. And then there are those that just flat out don't want to teach CFI and I don't blame them because this crap is just 100% dull. It's mostly ground stuff and CFIs prefer to be in an airplane rather than playing with dry erase markers all day. I can understand that. Then there are the flight schools that want $4000 for CFI and another $4000 for CFII...and that's if I'm *good* and on top of my game. Well, bottom line, I saved up some money and I can either toss it to a flight school or toss it to my lender. I decided to toss it over to a flight school, considering it's my only choice. So it's taken me a little over a year to get here to change my situation. I'm sorry that it's not going as quickly as I or you or anyone else would like. But like I said, I'm strapped. It's not like I got a rich wife/girlfriend/parents to sport me the cash to do this. I'm on my own with this.

But none of this changes the fact that CAPT is no flight school that anyone should consider. While people have made it, I also know those people who did make it with CAPT were very well off and had most if not all their training paid for or had their wife/girlfriend/parents give them the boost they needed. No surprises there.

Anyway, CAPT is not to be trusted. I'm poor because I chose them as my flight training solution and graduated without a job despite high honors and the most flight time out of all of them. You all know my flight school debt, and that I'm doing what I can to change this dismal situation, albeit slower than molasses flowing uphill.

Actually, I have taken the recommendations on this message board. I've been studying the CFI material, and trying to locate a CFI that is willing to work with me to get me my CFI certification. I can't tell you how many CFIs out there told me to go back to Florida and get it there. And then there are those that just flat out don't want to teach CFI and I don't blame them because this crap is just 100% dull. It's mostly ground stuff and CFIs prefer to be in an airplane rather than playing with dry erase markers all day. I can understand that. Then there are the flight schools that want $4000 for CFI and another $4000 for CFII...and that's if I'm *good* and on top of my game. Well, bottom line, I saved up some money and I can either toss it to a flight school or toss it to my lender. I decided to toss it over to a flight school, considering it's my only choice. So it's taken me a little over a year to get here to change my situation. I'm sorry that it's not going as quickly as I or you or anyone else would like. But like I said, I'm strapped. It's not like I got a rich wife/girlfriend/parents to sport me the cash to do this. I'm on my own with this.

But none of this changes the fact that CAPT is no flight school that anyone should consider. While people have made it, I also know those people who did make it with CAPT were very well off and had most if not all their training paid for or had their wife/girlfriend/parents give them the boost they needed. No surprises there.

Anyway, CAPT is not to be trusted. I'm poor because I chose them as my flight training solution and graduated without a job despite high honors and the most flight time out of all of them. You all know my flight school debt, and that I'm doing what I can to change this dismal situation, albeit slower than molasses flowing uphill.

You must be a tool.

Suck it up and apply somewhere.........all regionals need guys - just don't go to GoJet and you will be fine.

Regional pay sucks, but this is looking like one of the best times to get hired in the history of flying. If you can't take regional pay, then go fly boxes at night and wear a pager. There is money in that.

Regional pay sucks, but this is looking like one of the best times to get hired in the history of flying. If you can't take regional pay, then go fly boxes at night and wear a pager. There is money in that.
Yeah, but you have to have 1200 hours in most cases. By the time these low time regional new hires hit 1200 they'll be in their second year making more competitive wages.

Then again, I'm seeing cargo companies forking it out to keep pilots, especially the ones that fly caravans and pistons because they know they can't attract many pilots who are in cargo to build a resume like the companies flying twin turboprops.

So if you didnt even get a CFI out of it what exactly were you doing during this 460 hours of training they gave you? Did it take you that long to get your comm mulit inst? If so, that might be why no one will give you a job.

if this guy EVER does get an airline job I cant wait to hear how much he complains about that.

It sucks to here about someone that got "screwed" so bad, but on the other hand it makes me glad that I didnt buy into any of that fast track crap. There is something to be said about getting what you want in life without trying to slip through the cracks by taking the easy way in/out.

While all your recommendations are valid, they don't work for my situation. I just barely scraped up enough money over the last year to try to pay for a CFI program and I can't guarantee what I saved will be enough to carry me through to certification. That's just how strapped I am. So please. Don't tell me what I want and what I don't want. I know what I CAN and CAN'T afford to do.

Maybe a couple of these guys telling it like it is will show more people that it is not worth it to get into aviation anymore. Especially if you are going to go to one of those big pilot factories.

Well, people at least need to research it a little before jumping it, that's for sure. I got my PPL in '04 and have been plugging away at everything as I could, paying cash for all of it. Now I've got my CFI, single/multi IA comm. No debt, so I actually get to enjoy a beer every once in awhile as a CFI.

It did take longer than some people that started when I did, but at least I can sleep at night.

...or renegotiate your debt. AND get a job.

Maybe mom and dad can help you. SOMEONE co-signed that abortion of a loan. I won't slag you for getting in this hole, but there is alot you can do to get out.

Unless you reflect this attitude to everyone.

Since we're all sharing, here's my debt picture from flight training:

Started Payback (July 2006) Balance: $101,819.82
Current Balance: $97,065.15
Monthly Payment: $982.69
Current Variable Rate: 8.5%
Years To Go: 14

Not having a airline job because CAPT management screwed you over with lies and broken promises: PRICELESS!

There are d0uches in this world, and then there are CAPT management d0uches. Last I heard (a couple of weeks ago) they got 2 cadets total around the camp fire. Pathetic.

Ok, I would like to start by telling you how stupid you've been for 1) not researching this enough before commiting to $100,000 in loans (for something that you could have had for about $25,000) and 2) continuing to blame others for your mess. I feel sorry for you that you were mislead, but that's old news now, you need a new plan.

That said, you don't need your CFI/II/MEI in the current hiring environment. At this point you need to get current and start interviewing at places like CommutAir, Colgan, ASA, Pinnacle, Mesaba, Skywest, Chituaq..Mercury whatever the fuk you guys are now, Piedmont, Air Wiskey, etc. There are tons of regionals desperate for blood. Hel! even Airnet is down to a commerical certificate (you better have that for $100K).

Spend another $1000 and get current and study your best, temper your anger and get a friggen job. Then start honoring your commitment and repay this loan that you owe. Listen to Dave Ramsey and work your way out of this and get to flying. Everything else is sour grapes and still doesn't help you out of this hole YOU put yourself in. You have plenty of time to get hired at many of the regionals out there. You can work part time delivering pizzas your first year and then with some hard work, maybe in 5 years you can really start to make ground on this. Good luck man.

Latest resources

Back