Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why are passengers rude to pilots?

You are in public. You are a representative of your company. The average traveller just wants some information so they can get to where they are going. If they ask, just tell them. How hard is that?

I can't believe how stupid some of these threads are. Some of you people need to contact Dr. Phil so he can treat you on his show. Maybe he can arrange for a couple of pilots and a couple of passengers to come on the show and for everyone to discuss their feelings with him about this topic.

I found this topic enlightening. I tend to be polite to all customers, even helping those traveling on competing airlines. It's our industry and we, the Airline Pilots, are the only ones passengers look to for comfort.

Examples:
Years ago a rude pax demanded to know how to get to baggage claim. I politely sent him on the train in the opposite direction. Not Nice.

More recently, a pax who loudly exclaimed on his cell phone that 'some pesky pilot' was ushering him onboard. I stated "there goes your TV". He made another smart comment and I said;"There goes your drink".
He finally said "I think this pilots gonna kick my butt, I better go now."
I laughed; "I'm gonna wait until your at the plane, then I'm gonna kick you onboard so we can leave on schedule".
It was a playfull exchange, but I made my point and he shook my hand and thanked me for a great flight before deplaning.

I give all pax respect, but when encountering the occassional 'meanies', I must become the parent. In the end, my goal is to make their flying experience positive, comforting and, sometimes educational.

Last edited:
I hardly ever chime in with my 2 cents here, but, DA@M!! Slomo wins Avatar of the year award! What was this thread about again??:beer:

Over 2 hours go by and only one person comments on Slomo's avtar, fellas, you need to take a break and research what is really important on this thread.

Somebody's posting something? When scenery like that appears I've got better things to do than post something stupid like this.

Humor goes a very long way-- and you, as the Pilot, will always have an upper hand. I find myself laughing with them more than at them when they're rude. Of course, when the Philly Eagles clad doutch bag called me "F'in Ahole" because I admonished him for running under the wing to grab his checked bag off the Dash, I informed him of his gate swap.

"Sir! SIR! You're going to DFW and have the tight connection? Yes, that plane's now departing A17. Hurry- catch the C-Terminal bus and hoof it to the A-Terminal; it's faster because they run those busses more often."

"Hey! Uhh, thanks!"

Mean? Yeah, but fun as he!!.

When a passenger approaches me, my response is to pretend I don't hear them for about 12 seconds, then slowly turn my gaze toward them but before actually making eye contact, I yell "Neggs guess n' lion".

I laughed my A$$ off at that. Although if you haven't eaten at Wendy's on C Concourse you MIGHT not get it.

Crap, I've been walking around airports now for 3 years, not a single question. I either look dumb, or mean. I'll go with mean. I just walk around with a look on my face that spells to the adverage pax, 'ask me a question and I'll smack you one!' Question free now for 3 years.

Latest resources

Back