• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Wiskey Driver

Return of the Hub Raider
Come on I know someone's got the goods?

WD

From what I get from pprune and my friend at GF, EY is less desirable than EK.

They have pretty sizable housing issues and their management is less "enlightened" than that of EK, apparently.

Plenty of info on pprune but fewer U.S. types there. TC

I presume you have looked at the Middle East forum on pprune.org. Tons of information about Etihad and Emirates. Not all of it good. Bring some suntan lotion.

The problem is that everyone on pprune seems pissed. I wanted ot get some good hard info on the company.

WD

The problem is that everyone on pprune seems pissed. I wanted ot get some good hard info on the company.

WD

If you want hard data I would look at Wikipedia and the company website. If you want opinions I would go to Pprune and PM some of the frequent Etihad contributors. Sure, many of those people are somewhat negative but at least you could get more info. From what I have heard, the pilot group is very mixed (like Emirates) with a good percentage of Malaysians (a bunch joined Etihad at the beginning from MAS) and Germans. I think the group is more diversified now.

Personally, if you really, really want to go to the Middle East, you might as well focus on Emirates (despite some of the recent problems and policy changes). The growth at Emirates will continue to be huge and Dubai will always be the center of attraction.

Here's what I would do in your situation. If you get through the difficult interview process/sim and they make you an offer (not easy), I would tell them that with your own Airbus experience, you want to fly the A380 or no deal. What do you have to lose? If they say no, then you remain in the US and enjoy your great QOL. I wouldn't move there with the promise of someday possibly flying the A380 based on their rules and whims. But that's just me... Clearly EK will need A380 drivers (PICs and SICs) and I hear they will be hiring into the A380 at some point soon...

If you have no problem jumping onto an A330 or 777 and waiting in line (not that it would make a huge difference), then go for it. Just know what you are getting into - go with your eyes WIDE OPEN.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back