Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

greedypilot

Obama-nation
I haven't seen much movement senority wise the past 2 months or so and I have begun to wonder if anyone is actually hiring CJC captains. Every captain I talk to seems to have multiple apps in circulation, but it doesn't seem like any of them are getting hired...

So who is hiring Colgan CA's? I dont want to hear about the few who had incredible connections, were a minority, or were a check airman.

Who wants a standard old Colgan captain that's been here for say 3-4 years and has accumulated 2500+ PIC ?

Serious answers would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to decide if I want to stay at Colgan or leave for RAH or SKW. I can tolerate the 24 months for upgrade (but not much more); I kinda think that number will come down in the coming months anyway..

Last edited:
I haven't seen much movement senority wise the past 2 months or so and I have begun to wonder if anyone is actually hiring CJC captains. Every captain I talk to seems to have multiple apps in circulation, but it doesn't seem like any of them are getting hired...

So who is hiring Colgan CA's? I dont want to hear about the few who had incredible connections, were a minority, or were a check airman.

Who wants a standard old Colgan captain that's been here for say 3-4 years and has accumulated 2500+ PIC ?

Serious answers would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to decide if I want to stay at Colgan or leave for RAH or SKW. I can tolerate the 24 months for upgrade (but not much more); I kinda think that number will come down in the coming months anyway..

You mean, not every colgan pilot gets out in 3 years. That is not what I have been hearing from other colgan pilots. The ones that don't care about pay or whipsaw because they are just there to get there time and get out.

I just remembered another thing.. I dont count going to a "colgan major" as getting out. So also exclude those hired by North America, Miami Air, et cetera.

Well the company you work for isnt as important as who you know and who you are. Most people in the industry are relying on connections. Most of these companies have thousands of resumes on file. When they do hire a large number is from networking and walk ins. There are CJC guys at SWA, Continental, Airtrain, Alaska, UPS, Jetblue, as well as North American, Miami, Xtra, Gemini, and there are guys that went NJA and corporate. What other companies are out there? As far as guys doing 3 years and out well of course that was just a general statement. There are about 50 guys or so that were hired in 99 and havent moved on. The reasons are probably as different and varied as there are opinions of the merger. I know quite a few of them and I know the different stories. The majority of our Captains were hired between '02-'05 with the most probably being '04. They are not even halfway through '05 yet for upgrades. Most regionals have FOs longer than our entire pilot group. Then again most of the pilots that leave are FOs that leave for those other regionals. Now this is something that every pilot needs to learn. WHAT IS GOOD FOR OTHERS MIGHT NOT BE GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!! It is nearly impossible for anyone to look at someone else and decide their life based on the other person. If you want to go to RAH or Whiskey or another jet operator it cannot be based on when you upgrade and how that impacts your hiring later on because simply there is NO WAY to predict what will be. You need to make choices based on today and how it impacts your life today. There are jet regional captains that are lifers. Some because they are comfortable and do not want to start over, maybe they are too old to want to start over, and some just cannot get hired or interviewed. The best track in this industry is to know someone that has good standing with the company they work for and see if they can recommend you for an interview then dont screw up interview. You PCL guys, stop your crying. CJC pilots didnt screw you. You stand to lose MORE and that is terrible but the pilots didnt do it. You are asking for guys to take it on their shoulders and bring a union to CJC for no extra pay and TONS of work. Some of these guys do 6 leg days and 12 hours on duty with 8 in cockpit. They hand fly Beeches and wrestle with the Slaab. They do REAL regional flying and will get stuck in a weather system for days on end. They fly to small airports that have no business having airlines. They get NO respect because they are not only Tprops but CJC Tprops. They have no APU's, no FMS, no pretty little screens with cool pictures. How many of PCL pilots can claim that they started the union there? How many were hired with a union in place? Most of us know that a union now for CJC would be better in the longterm. It is easy to be standing on your side of the fence worried about the scary corporate monster that you know so well. If any of us were you we would be the same way I am sure. Give us a break and the same respect that you arent on our side of the fence and dont know what we see. At CJC when we need something like lav service, or catering, or GPU we cant squawk on the radio and get it because nobody listens to us. We have to go and get it ourselves. So if you are so worried about us taking your flying or anything else..... stop crying on the radio like typical RJ pukes and come to our bases and talk to us. Maybe we should plan a big get together with all that can make it from both companies down in KeyWest or something. The best idea foundations have been laid in a relaxed atmosphere. You better be ready to help and not start grief or then there will be drama and you boys push buttons and we wrestle bears. One thing is for sure.... nothing good comes from FI except laughing at the geeks with chick avatars cause they havent had the real thing...........CJC 4 eva bitches

i know of a few that went to continental, swa, jet blue, Alaska, air tran, ups, fed ex. Basically every major that is hiring has hired some colgan guys.

Last edited:
You mean, not every colgan pilot gets out in 3 years. That is not what I have been hearing from other colgan pilots. The ones that don't care about pay or whipsaw because they are just there to get there time and get out.

you are whipsawing the threads. Guys are getting their time and getting out. but the smart ones start networking as soon as they get in the left seat. doesn't matter what airline you work for right now, no network=no hire

I just remembered another thing.. I dont count going to a "colgan major" as getting out. So also exclude those hired by North America, Miami Air, et cetera.

Dude, what?

They are getting hired at Mesa.

Well the company you work for isnt as important as who you know and who you are. Most people in the industry are relying on connections. Most of these companies have thousands of resumes on file. When they do hire a large number is from networking and walk ins. There are CJC guys at SWA, Continental, Airtrain, Alaska, UPS, Jetblue, as well as North American, Miami, Xtra, Gemini, and there are guys that went NJA and corporate. What other companies are out there? As far as guys doing 3 years and out well of course that was just a general statement. There are about 50 guys or so that were hired in 99 and havent moved on. The reasons are probably as different and varied as there are opinions of the merger. I know quite a few of them and I know the different stories. The majority of our Captains were hired between '02-'05 with the most probably being '04. They are not even halfway through '05 yet for upgrades. Most regionals have FOs longer than our entire pilot group. Then again most of the pilots that leave are FOs that leave for those other regionals. Now this is something that every pilot needs to learn. WHAT IS GOOD FOR OTHERS MIGHT NOT BE GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!! It is nearly impossible for anyone to look at someone else and decide their life based on the other person. If you want to go to RAH or Whiskey or another jet operator it cannot be based on when you upgrade and how that impacts your hiring later on because simply there is NO WAY to predict what will be. You need to make choices based on today and how it impacts your life today. There are jet regional captains that are lifers. Some because they are comfortable and do not want to start over, maybe they are too old to want to start over, and some just cannot get hired or interviewed. The best track in this industry is to know someone that has good standing with the company they work for and see if they can recommend you for an interview then dont screw up interview. You PCL guys, stop your crying. CJC pilots didnt screw you. You stand to lose MORE and that is terrible but the pilots didnt do it. You are asking for guys to take it on their shoulders and bring a union to CJC for no extra pay and TONS of work. Some of these guys do 6 leg days and 12 hours on duty with 8 in cockpit. They hand fly Beeches and wrestle with the Slaab. They do REAL regional flying and will get stuck in a weather system for days on end. They fly to small airports that have no business having airlines. They get NO respect because they are not only Tprops but CJC Tprops. They have no APU's, no FMS, no pretty little screens with cool pictures. How many of PCL pilots can claim that they started the union there? How many were hired with a union in place? Most of us know that a union now for CJC would be better in the longterm. It is easy to be standing on your side of the fence worried about the scary corporate monster that you know so well. If any of us were you we would be the same way I am sure. Give us a break and the same respect that you arent on our side of the fence and dont know what we see. At CJC when we need something like lav service, or catering, or GPU we cant squawk on the radio and get it because nobody listens to us. We have to go and get it ourselves. So if you are so worried about us taking your flying or anything else..... stop crying on the radio like typical RJ pukes and come to our bases and talk to us. Maybe we should plan a big get together with all that can make it from both companies down in KeyWest or something. The best idea foundations have been laid in a relaxed atmosphere. You better be ready to help and not start grief or then there will be drama and you boys push buttons and we wrestle bears. One thing is for sure.... nothing good comes from FI except laughing at the geeks with chick avatars cause they havent had the real thing...........CJC 4 eva bitches

Aaaaamen! You hit the nail on the head, Cool Side. Thank you!

-Snaab

I guess my biggest fear is getting stuck at Colgan.. It it one thing if you're stuck as a RJ CA making $65-100k per year, but being stuck at Colgan flying a Saab for $50k per year just scares me.

Latest resources

Back