• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

whos gonna buy who??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What do you mean? There are no fences along the border and that is why we have this immigration mess!

Wrong. There are no complete fences, but fences nonetheless.

sorry, off-topic.

American is going to buy Air Cal

I thought there would be more legacy merger activity. I thought it was the smart thing to do. But only the the most troubled big carriers sought mergers the last couple of years during good times. UAL and USAir. They figured it would help them survive or remain more vital.

On reflection I believe it didn't become more popular because there wasn't a lack of capacity. In an environment of good pricing power (controlled capacity) a smart merger could have provided a synergy to spur more traffic and a need for more airplanes.

But now we are entering a slower period where orders are reduced or delayed by many carriers. We are in the "Too many airplanes on order for market conditions" cycle. Capacity will get worse before it gets better. I'm thinking that is not a traditionally merger active cycle. A merger now would mean folks out of work and airplanes parked. Kinda expensive and needless. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I believe mergers will pick up after the orders are reduced and capacity growth is reduced if not reversed. Near the beginning of the "We don't have enough airplanes on order" cycle.

I have no idea how long this cycle will last. Maybe its about to reverse this year. Maybe a bunch of older DC9s and 737 classics will get parked in a hurry to herald the reversal.

Last edited:
American is going to buy Air Cal

What a moron! AirCal would never fit into their route system. It's better to just let AC and PSA fight it out in California. Now, they could be in trouble if SWA decides to move into CA in a big way but I just don't see them growing big enough to do that.

No, I think AirCal and PSA are immune from being bought out and they will continue to slug it out up and down the coast.

Oh, yeah, one more thing--I'm available for investment advice for anyone interested in airline stocks. ;) TC

Isn't it: Who's gonna buy WHOM?

And yes, their is not one spelling or grammar mistake in all my past posts.

If you capitalize the word WHOM and follow it with a question mark, is that not a gramatical error? By capitalizing a word at the end of a sentenence for emphasis, would'nt the exclamation point be the proper gramatical choice.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back