• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who will survive? Republic Airways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You're still getting less economy per passenger mile than a mainline jet. ALL RJ's are gas guzzlers. The 170 is no different. The only real differences between the E-Jets and the "traditional" RJ are appearance and comfort. The talk that they represent some kind of revolution in the regional world is a result of some brilliant marketing over at Embraer. And I haven't flown a 170/175 (yet), but I have friends who do so on a regular basis. You guys aren't saving a ton of gas over your CRJ equivalents.
And your friends who fly it are telling you this?? So your taking second hand information about an airplane that you have no experience on and making your own opinion. HMMMM???????? Well then perhaps your friends need to tweak how they are flying the airplane as to become more fuel efficient. The 170 is not as inefficient as you "think" it is. There are ways to make it a gas guzzler, but as I stated before if you know how to fly the plane the way it should be flown you can save a pretty good amount of fuel. I can't speak for the CRJ series because I do not fly them, nor would I make a rash judgment on something I did not have first hand knowledge of. I have been flying the 170 going on 3 years and I don't know everything but I know for a fact that this airplane if flown right is not a Guzzler.

ALL RJs are guzzlers. End of story. They don't have the economy ppm that bigger jets do. That's in the basic description of what an RJ is. And since you don't have any first-hand experience with a CRJ, I think we'll both have to count on the numerous CRJ drivers who have chimed in to say that the E-Jets aren't saving too much gas compared to a CRJ-700/900. And I'm not just forming that opinion based on second-hand comments. I'm basing it on printed releases, manufacturer literature and training materials that I have studied.

I never said the the E170 was any less efficient than any other regional jet. But it's not really any more efficient than a typical regional jet, either. Anybody who thinks that RAH will be safe from the recent oil concerns in the RJ world (which was the sentiment of the article on which this thread was based) is spending less time looking at the numbers than they are at the press kits that Embraer puts out. I don't care how much better designed the E170 is than a CRJ (and in all fairness, it seems like a hell of an airplane), we're all in the same boat when it comes to economy. The 1900 I fly is an absolute Jet-A pig when you consider how much gas I'm burning to move 19 people around. We've all got a problem with economy, and our respective mainline carriers know it. The idea that the E170 is going to turn RAH into the undisputed God of the Regional Carriers is more than a little optimistic.

The idea that the E170 is going to turn RAH into the undisputed God of the Regional Carriers is more than a little optimistic.
With all due respect, I don't believe that's the accurate interpretation of the article. I realize people have extrapolated that conclusion, however, I think it's saying that RAH is better positioned to withstand the pressures of converting their fleet as more than 50% has already been done.

RAH, fuel issues aside on the CRJ/ERJ v/s E-Jet, will have more options to adapt in the market than say, Mesaba or ExJet coming from exclusively 50 seat and under fleets.

This article isn't about who's plane is more efficient, it's about who has the bigger "large RJ" fleet on hand.

The talk that they represent some kind of revolution in the regional world is a result of some brilliant marketing over at Embraer.

Marketing for Embraer is easy. Just pay Mike Boyd a "consulting" fee and get him to declare your product (and those who operate it) the salvation and high water mark of the airline bidness.

I'm not sure that qualifies as "brilliant," but you are correct that this stinks of communications majors peddling snake oil.

RAH, fuel issues aside on the CRJ/ERJ v/s E-Jet, will have more options to adapt in the market than say, Mesaba or ExJet coming from exclusively 50 seat and under fleets.

I had no idea that Mesaba's fleet is exclusively 50 seats and less.

I hate to get this thing back onto the subject of RAH's viability, but how much exposure is there to Frontier's shaky future?

Only 17 aircraft for Frontier. While the loss of any codeshare would never be positive, finding homes for those 17 aircraft would not be difficult.

170 does not burn more fuel than the crj700. that has been beaten to death.

1. Everyone hates riding on a regional jet but being we have the E170/175s, passengers would rather ride on us then yall with the crj700/900s sooooooo sucks to be you.

Call it a regional jet all u want. I dont care but the fact is, its a superior airplane to the canadian pos and passengers would rather fly on them.

being its flightinfo, my regional is better than yours! If you aint working here, too bad so sad.

BTW, I could care less what Boyd says

I can't believe we hire idiots like this guy. 250 hours in a 170 and he thinks he's the greatest thing. He probably lives at home and has to be home by nine or he's grounded. He will never have a girlfriend so we don't have to worry about his r-tard genes continuing on. These tards are at every airline, sorry he learned to post, the rest of the Republic, Shuttle and Chautauqua guys and gals arn't like this idiot. Hopefully some captain will set him in his place $21 bucks an hour to fly a 170 doesn't make you cool, it makes you a d-n0zz1e when you think you are showing off like this, just shut up and stop making other 170 fo's look bad.

Latest resources

Back