who will be awarded the AWAC flying?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
utahpilot said:
Who will be awarded the AWAC flying? Probably AWAC if they can figure out a way to make money doing it. If they can't my conjecture is that AWAC will be sold in an assets only transaction and many of the AWAC aircraft and pilots will end up working for the whoever the lowest bidder is.

Money

WhiteCloud "Who will be awarded the AWAC flying? Probably AWAC if they can figure out a way to make money doing it."

Aren't they making some serious money. I hear quarterly profits are about $20 million. That results in $80 million a year. Anyone have accurate numbers?

Last edited:
Can anyone undercut the BigSky 70 seat pay-rate? If not in this cost saving/cutting enviroment. I will guess the Mesaba pilots under the BigSky certificate.(per our new contract)

Just a guess please don't start flaming me. I don't even know what there 70seat pay rate is but I will bet that it is LOW.

Furloughed80 said:
WhiteCloud "Who will be awarded the AWAC flying? Probably AWAC if they can figure out a way to make money doing it."

Aren't they making some serious money. I hear quarterly profits are about $20 million. That results in $80 million a year. Anyone have accurate numbers?
The question is if AWAC can come up with a new bid that they can make some money with. Given AWAC's costs are higher than the competition it might be difficult to do.

No it's not for just 50 seat flying! The bid is for our 70 RJs (which happen to have 50 seats) and our BAE 146's We are not that much more expensive than the other carriers if at all. The reason United is pulling this crap is because they want to unload some 50 seaters in exchance for 70 seaters. Will AWAC get them? I don't know. They probably won't. Our owners have said they are not going to commit to more aircraft if UAL is only offering a short term deal (5yrs is what I've heard) AWAC has never nor will ever be as aggressive as other regionals. We shall see what happens.

Ok Can anyone undercut BigSkys 50 seat rate. They are a 19 seat metro operator, but when mesaba managment bought them they made them sign a new contract they added jet pay rates 2 yrs ago. I think with out having it in front of me that it was.

1st yr fo 19hr
5th yr fo 28hr$

1st yr ca 50hr
5th yr ca 58hr$

You know I find it somewhat amusing that everyone argues over a few bucks either way. Big Sky 5th year CA = $58 per hour? PCL is $60, MSA is $61, Mesa is $61 also (I believe) and if memory serves, didn't ExJet just sign for 5th year CA rates around the $64 an hour range?

I understand there's a lot more to a contract than pay rate, but all the extras such as 100% cancellation pay, block or better, etc, seems to be worth only about +/- 5% which is a $3,000 per year difference in pay... Is that really worth the mudslinging to say one carrier is "whoring themselves out"?

I don't think so. It's all pathetically low pay... I just hope the AWAC guys and gals don't end up out of a job over all this.

Latest resources

Back