Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

91100 100 set

to the book
As I was sitting down to catch up on my logbook the other day, I got towondering what kind of records everybody else keeps in their logbooks.

I broke 6000 hours the other week, with about 4500 of that regional 121time, so I'm past the point of counting every minute like I used to,butout of habit, I still keep my logbook as if I were. I don't log everyleg on each line (I do it one day per line now), but I still do botherwith day and night landings, a conservative estimate of instrument time("regulated" to keep it around 10-12% of my total), XC time (all of itis XC now) and even instrument approaches and the occasional hold, butthats mostly due to my particular nature.

I talk to guys who don't even bother with a logbook (or haven't touchedtheirs in years and are hundreds or thousands of hours behind),some doan entire month on one line, and some guys still bother to fillout oneline per leg of flying. So I'm curious.

Also wondering what you all put in the remarks section. I've heardstories about putting "too much" stuff in their that might incriminateyou down the road in an interview. I usually just stick with the nameofthe other pilot, any holding, any extreme or interesting weathersituations and any scheduling snafu's (MX hassles,ferry flights, etc).

Just curious what my peers out there are doing in this department.

Last edited:
my space bar is screwed up...

alright, I tried to fix it twice, but something weird is happeningwhenever I post, so don't jump my stuff about the lack of spaces.

I also switched to logging by the day. By the leg was eating up space in a hurry. I log: TT, Multi, Turbofan, XC, Night, IMC, Approaches, PIC. I usually don't put anything in the remarks section.

I am about to start the long process of having an electronic logbook, Logbook Pro. Luckily, I have been using APDL on my palm/ppc since the end of 2001, so at least some of the data I can import rather than just type it all.

My little red book is my logbook since I started flying 121. I log flighttime and approaches only. Inst time is no longer required so I don't log it.

I log by the day or aircraft. In other words if I am in the same aircraft the whole day that's one entry. If I swap aircraft it's one entry per aircraft. That way I have an accurate count of time in each specific aircraft within the fleet even though they are of the same type.

I use AirlineLogbook.net on my PDA which syncs automatically with Logbookpro.com software on my computer so I never have to do much work nor pick up a pen to write in a log book. Just print it out every few months. Could not be easier.

Turbojet23, I'm the really anal guy who logs one leg per line. In actuallity, I like to know how much time I've actually spent on the controls, and that is the best way I've come up with so far. Also, I'm pretty particular about my logbook... As for the particulars, I log TT, AML, ASL, Turbine, day/night landings, actual, approaches, XC, night, and (for now anyway) SIC. In the remarks I log PF, or PNF, the other pilot's name, the flight # and any comments about wx or delays I feel appropriate.

Funny how junior snot-nosed guys like me keep track of everything we do in an airplane. Hard to brake old habits I guess...

I find I get very little instrument time in the CRJ. Way below 10%. I mean do you guys give yourself .1 everytime you go through a layer? If I actually have to do an approach where I don't see the runway right away, I usually give myself .2 or .3 and log an ILS. I guess the only way I usually get a bunch of instrument is if I'm on a short leg and stuck in the low 20's and it's a crappy day.

JetPilotMike, yeah, I've noticed that my instrument time seems to besomewhat less now, so maybe my earlier comment about the 10% might notbe appropriate. In the Dash, we very rarely got above 15 or 16thousand, and you might never see blue sky on a bad day (or even a fairday) in the Northeast at those altitudes. But the jet now has mespending less time there (but still the Northeast with lots of shorterlegs, so I spend more time in the 20's than the 30's) and very often atthe end of the day I only have 2 or 3 tenths and those are usually justwags anyway. So in time, I'll probably see my instrument timestart to decrease as a proportion of my total.

I log each month on one line. My PDA software gives me a nice printout of Tailnumbers and PF or PNF if I ever need it. For me it keeps my logbook a lot neater.

AL

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back