• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who is getting the call?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AFTER that one of my FTD partners said he tried bribing begging and threatening the guy who supposedly has some say in the shuffle of interviews and was told they have hired all they need off the street till 2014. As mentioned though, YOU NEVER KNOW. He was told to have his friend keep updating the resume every few months.
I heard as well that till the SLI is done no more street hires, even though we are vastly understaffed.
The interview process sounds about identical to when I did it in '07... at least in IAH. Heard there were interviews in DEN as well.

As far as having to get some 121 background in an RJ...with all due respect, GMAFB. Flying an airliner from point A to B, absolutely, positively in no way compares to military flying. And no, I'm not saying there aren't quality civilian guys...there are plenty and I've flown with a bunch of awesome guys, both flying wise and personality wise as well. But please...military pilots transitioning to airline flying, takes oh - maybe 6-9 minutes after you figure out the crew concept.

All debate aside, the toughest thing I found coming from the single seat world to flying a fatty at .78 M was how to integrate into the crew concept arena (i.e. when to read the QRH, how much interaction was required, how and when to talk on ramp, etc). Once that part was understood...which takes about a day or two, the rest ain't tough.

Tell that to the A-10 driver in my new hire class that was let go after 60 hours of IOE. The coolest military guys to both fly and hang with are the ones who don't pontify about it first chance they get esp if its to bring up that they went to 'The Academy.' Ugh you know its gonna be a long four day when you hear that on leg one.

Btw going forward folks the interviews will be at DENTK and the sim will be the old UAL 737-200...

Tell that to the A-10 driver in my new hire class that was let go after 60 hours of IOE. The coolest military guys to both fly and hang with are the ones who don't pontify about it first chance they get esp if its to bring up that they went to 'The Academy.' Ugh you know its gonna be a long four day when you hear that on leg one.

Btw going forward folks the interviews will be at DENTK and the sim will be the old UAL 737-200...

I know exactly who you're talking about (the A-10 guy). Unfortunate, but I heard he wasn't the strongest swimmer in other aspects either.

As far as not having to hear about a person's background right away on the first leg - I agree with you 100%. I can't stand when guys ask me right away what my background is nor do I want to hear about theirs. I mean, after we chit chat and relax a little then sure we can talk about our pasts. Trust me bro, it goes both ways, with civilian guys as well. And no, I won't tell you about the Academy unless you ask me...I really could care less, unless you want to talk about their football team or something like that.

I especially can't stand the "Well, I was gonna be a fighter pilot but...(you fill in the blank for the excuse)" five minutes into the first leg. I've heard that plenty o'times as well bro. Like I said, it definitely goes both ways with civ guys too. However on the flipside, tons of great civ dudes to fly with. It boils down to the person..a tool is a tool is a tool.

As far as the current hiring spree, I stand by what I said earlier. Good to see a well balanced hiring pool with plenty more military guys now in the mix. It makes for a healthier pilot group to have a wider variation in backgrounds.

Last edited:
For those that are looking for info, I apologize for the drift.
But yes, I am an "idiot". If you mean by "idiot" someone who doesnt think flying mil automatically makes you more "qualified" than a civilian who's actually been doing the job, then yes, im an "idiot". my resume is unique and speaks for itself, no need to defend it to anyone.. its just not personal. ive never done any mil flying. if i had, i would be proud of that. but it wouldnt mean that i was more qualified for a major airline job. This idea that it does is pure myth.
I have AF guys now that tell me all the time what the xtranormal vid says- Civs can fly circles around most mil pilots- we see the big picture on average much better than military pilots, esp fighter, and are much more enjoyable to fly with. We understand the crew concept better. That's bc we've been doing the job on tougher schedules our whole career.

Do not get me wrong, I do not disrespect your service. I respect it. More than you know. I am proud of you. But it doesn't mean you should get preference, and certainly shouldn't come into a 121 crew environment and be cocky when you don't tend to even know what you don't know. Dumbest questions in my class were from the f15 guy. Who also thought nothing of acting like a dbag to his classmates and criticizing them for their questions bc he wanted to leave class early. I didn't judge bc he didn't know better. He'd been pumped up his whole career, and he'd NEVER DONE THE 121 JOB. So how could he? Is he capable? Probably. Does his arrogance hurt him? In 121? Yeah. But he studied hard and eventually got it. Captains recently told me it was a long trip, and weve been here over 6 years now. And he's not unique with his background.
How long do we have to keep burying our head in the sand about this?
It's my opinion that I could've "studied hard and eventually got it" right out of cessnas. That's the equivalent. I had always shown aptitude. i had always been successful. what i wasnt, was qualified yet. Any other job, never having done the job would label you less qualified, but somehow flying mil is supposed to make you MORE qualified? When the flying only loosely relates.
Doesn't make sense. Go to an RJ, fly it for a year and come to class. Learn 121 like the rest of us. Only to mil pilots who feel entitled, would this be a disrespectful concept.

But I concede that this age old debate won't be decided here on this thread, so I'll bow out, wish everybody good luck in their job searches- Im glad hiring is finally looking up, and apologize again for the thread drift to those looking for info.

Scrap, I agree with a diverse pilot background- but you have to admit that it's not the civilian pilots by and large strutting around pissing on their peers while underperforming.
I never wanted to fly fighters. And even you just now- assume that we all wanted to fly fighters and need an excuse for why we didn't.
But you are correct- this is all stereotype- plenty of fantastic fighter pilots flying a good 121 line-
100% agree a tool is a tool is a tool

Maybe you can start taking care of all the tools with your background so I don't have to post on these threads.

I'd love to defend fighter pilots- I love the stories you got- makes a pairing interesting hearing about flying I haven't done. But you guys have earned your rep. And it ain't good brother.

Scrap, I agree with a diverse pilot background- but you have to admit that it's not the civilian pilots by and large strutting around pissing on their peers while underperforming.
I never wanted to fly fighters. And even you just now- assume that we all wanted to fly fighters and need an excuse for why we didn't.
But you are correct- this is all stereotype- plenty of fantastic fighter pilots flying a good 121 line-
100% agree a tool is a tool is a tool

Maybe you can start taking care of all the tools with your background so I don't have to post on these threads.

I'd love to defend fighter pilots- I love the stories you got- makes a pairing interesting hearing about flying I haven't done. But you guys have earned your rep. And it ain't good brother.

What rep? Seriously who cares? I'm trying to be gracious and you constantly go on and on and on about fighter guys. Let it go...this job can be so easy and enjoyable if you just stay in your lane and worry about yourself.

This "rep" is the first I've heard. I guess you know more than me as Mr. Crew Concept 121 guy. And about airline matters you probably do. But I'll bet you $20 that you can ask any Capt I fly with that I'm pretty even keeled and easy going...and all my fighter "bros" that fly with at the airlines pretty much fit the same mold. Sorry to dispel our "rep" you like to label us with.

Stay in your own lane bro. Worry about yourself. Life is so much more enjoyable that way.

Latest resources

Back