Who has the most type ratings?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lead Sled said:
About 15 years ago I attended an AOPA sponsered CFI refresher course. One of the instructors was a recently retired FAA senior Air Carrier inspector. This guy put a copy, on the overhead projector, of the ATP certificate that he was issued during the last few years that he was with the FAA. Under limitations it read "UNRESTRICTED", in other words this guy was legal in everything. He mentioned that it came about as a result of an incident where he tried to pull some airline pilot's certificate. The inspector had been in the cockpit of some airliner when the crew did something stupid. The pilot's attorney argued that the inspector wasn't qualified to critique the crew because he wasn't type-rated in the particular aircraft that they had been flying. Long story short, he ended up with an unrestricted ATP. It also was of limited duration, l believe that it was 24 months, like a CFI certificate. He mentioned that the FAA had issued these certificates only to a handfull of their senior inspectors.

'Sled
Wow, pretty interesting. Slight thread hijack: I wonder if that "UNRESTRICTED" would stand up in court...I mean, he still isn't type rated in the aircraft...the FAA just put wording that suites their needs on his certificate. Not trying to start anything, just curious.

The "ALL MAKES AND MODELS OF SINGLE AND MULTIENGINE PISTON POWERED AIRCRAFT" thing in some of these records is an unlimited warbird Letter Of Authorization (LOA). Basically, if you have three warbird LOAs they give you an unlimited LOA, or at least they used to.

Here is an article about getting an unlimited LOA: http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182123-1.html

I would like to point out:

The original question posed on this thread:

cezzna said:
Who on the board has the most type ratings?
I now draw your attention to the phrase "on the board." I believe that to indicate cezzna wants to know who among us, the users of Flightinfo, has the most type ratings. That's a different question than the one posed back in June. The answers to such a thread might go like this:

JOE: I have 2

BILL: I have 4

HARRY: I have 7

AVBUG: I have 9

TDTURBO: I don't need any, I know more than all the rest of you combined.. :eek:

OK, so maybe not quite that way. :) OK, in that spirit, and knowing full well that I won't win the contest, I'll start.

I have 4.

Who has more?

:crying: I only have 4, too.

TonyC said:
The original question posed on this thread:

I now draw your attention to the phrase "on the board." I believe that to indicate cezzna wants to know who among us, the users of Flightinfo, has the most type ratings. That's a different question than the one posed back in June. The answers to such a thread might go like this:

JOE: I have 2

BILL: I have 4

HARRY: I have 7

AVBUG: I have 9

TDTURBO: I don't need any, I know more than all the rest of you combined.. :eek:

OK, so maybe not quite that way. :) OK, in that spirit, and knowing full well that I won't win the contest, I'll start.

I have 4.

Who has more?

good night

I have six. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing, however.

Id sell a few of mine for $50, if that was possible.

:confused:

flyboycpa said:
This is the rap sheet on a family friend (the most veteran Reno Air Racer in history), Dave Morss. He's highly regarded as an experimental test pilot and I think that his LOA's (now type ratings) are more impressive than any of the previous FedEx guys' purchased type ratings. The more impressive fact is that he actually flies these machines that he's rated in. This is how he makes a living. Here's my big question.....how do you get the "All Makes and Models of Authorized Aircraft" limitation, and if read literally, is it really a "limitation"?? Or, does it mean, as an example, that authorization to fly NA-P51 (Mustang) allows him to fly all the different variations of that model (P-51A, P-51B, P-51D, F-51, TF-51, etc)? Anybody know for sure?

his website is www.davemorss.com for those looking for some neat stuff...
DAVID STEVEN MORSS

Address
Street 775 UPLAND RD
CityREDWOOD CITY StateCALIFORNIA CountySAN MATEO Zip Code94062-3042 CountryUNITED STATES

Medical

Medical Class :SecondMedical Date:07/2005​
MUST WEAR CORR LENSES & POSSESS GLASSES FOR NEAR & INTRM VISION.

CertIficates
1 of 4
12 3 4

DOI :07/28/2004CertIficate:AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT​
Rating(s): AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT
AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND COMMERCIAL PRIVILEGES
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE SEA ROTORCRAFT-HELICOPTER GLIDER
Type Ratings

A/LR-JET​

Limits

ALL MAKES AND MODELS OF SINGLE AND MULTI ENGINE PISTON POWERED AUTHORIZED AIRCRAFT. AUTHORIZED EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT: AV-L29 AV-L39 B-29 BF-109 BL-P39 BL-P63 CHV-F4U CU-P40 CU-SB2C DC-AD1 FW-190 G-F4F G-F6F G-F7F G-F8F G-TBM HE-111 H-FB-11 H-HURC JU-52 L-P38 MAVERIK MI-A6M MOSQUTO N-P51 N-P64 N-T28 PROVOST R-P47 S-211 SBD/A24 SPITFIR YAK-11 YAK-3 YAK-9

Dave is a pretty cool dude. I did my private checkride with him about 16 years ago. I learned a lot on that ride.

Lead Sled said:
Long story short, he ended up with an unrestricted ATP. It also was of limited duration, l believe that it was 24 months, like a CFI certificate. He mentioned that the FAA had issued these certificates only to a handfull of their senior inspectors.

'Sled

Yaaaaay! Chalk one up for the FAA, those smart, ethical, upstanding, aviation crime fighters! When you can't win by playing by the rules, change 'em! F***in' A$$holes.

One day I'll post the story of the inspector who almost got himself shot trying to ramp check a cop.

Latest resources

Back