• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

#%&@$!

Flatulence Forces Plane to Land

By Associated Press

document.write(getElapsed("20061206T120726Z"));1 hour agoUPDATED 48 MINUTES AGO
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - An American Airlines flight was forced to make an emergency landing Monday morning after a passenger lit a match to disguise the scent of flatulence, authorities said.
The Dallas-bound flight was diverted to Nashville after several passengers reported smelling burning sulfur from the matches, said Lynne Lowrance, spokeswoman for the Nashville International Airport Authority. All 99 passengers and five crew members were taken off and screened while the plane was searched and luggage was screened.
The FBI questioned a passenger who admitted she struck the matches in an attempt to conceal a "body odor," Lowrance said. She had an unspecified medical condition, authorities said.
"It's humorous in a way but you feel sorry for the individual, as well," she said. "It's unusual that someone would go to those measures to cover it up."
The flight took off again, but the woman was not allowed back on the plane. The woman, who was not identified, was not charged in the incident.

The sad part if that they diverted for this. The smell of a burning match would have dissipated in under a few minutes. In addition, I have seen no regulation against the striking of a match on an aircraft. Probably not a good idea, but not against any reg that I have ever seen.

I imagine that if I worked for a company that lost two airliners to terrorism, I would be quick to divert and get the airplane down safely, too. So, no criticism in my eyes for the crew. For the lady... not so smart. But in all fairness, I am sure at no point was she briefed by anyone that it is illegal to light a match. We have to remember that we carry first time fliers and infrequent fliers all the time. Her last flight may have been in 1974. Who knows. We can't expect every passenger to be in the know... and obviously common sense is far from normal anymore.

The real fault in my opinion lies with TSA, who allows matches on board. Sorry smokers, but all combustibles should be checked or not allowed period. matches and lighters can be sold outside of security. And pax can suck it up. Not very customer friendly, I know, but either you eliminate the threat or you put up with events like this. I am sure the shoe bomber had an excuse for the cabin crew when they caught him trying to light up, too.

OMG!!!

Ok, it sucks that the pax were inconvenienced and that the airline wasted some money on extra fuel and fees but other than that!!

What a great story they'll all have to tell!

"Hey honey I'm gonna be late getting home! We had to divert because some Lady dropped wolf egg on the plane and tried to cover it up with matches."
-Baaaaa
Got to love a good fart story/joke.

as im reading this thread and shaking my head in amazement, my dog is laying on my bed and just let a foul bomb go....silent but deadly....really puts everything in perspective....cant imagine this in the confines of a pressurized tube...ouch

You know, MYTHBUSTERS did an episode on this and their conclusion was that lighting a match does nothing to hide and/or dissipate the odor faster.

Odor? Oh wait, it was a chick fart, which as we all know is both:

A: impossible

and

B: smells like roses

(impossible based on premise "a", but we're talking women, not logic and reasoned discourse)

Latest resources

Back