• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who farted?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The sad part if that they diverted for this. The smell of a burning match would have dissipated in under a few minutes. In addition, I have seen no regulation against the striking of a match on an aircraft. Probably not a good idea, but not against any reg that I have ever seen.

You mean like the Air Canada DC9 that didn't divert because the fire that "was out" after a few minutes and forced them to land later but not before most of the passengers were burned death before the plane was able to be evacuated? Do you have any idea how fast fire spreads in an airplane?!
Do a little reading.
Oh, and THANK GOODNESS the CREW was rescreened. What a chinese fire drill we have for "security"!

You mean like the Air Canada DC9 that didn't divert because the fire that "was out" after a few minutes and forced them to land later but not before most of the passengers were burned death before the plane was able to be evacuated? Do you have any idea how fast fire spreads in an airplane?!
Do a little reading.
Oh, and THANK GOODNESS the CREW was rescreened. What a chinese fire drill we have for "security"!

It was a match. A match has a very definate smell, and it does NOT smell like ANY type of fire. I don't know when this lady confessed, but if she did so before the divert then I don't think the divert was justified. Yes, a smell of smoke demands quick action. But when the source of smoke is identified, an immediate landing may or may not be necessary. And I don't think landing over a match being lit is necessary. Sure, that's just my opinion, but I think that I am just as concerned about safety as anyone.

Oh crap, and I always thought it was a good thing farts werent visible - he mustve had the taco bell...

I just let one pass.......not a loud one, fortunately.

It was a match. A match has a very definate smell, and it does NOT smell like ANY type of fire. I don't know when this lady confessed, but if she did so before the divert then I don't think the divert was justified. Yes, a smell of smoke demands quick action. But when the source of smoke is identified, an immediate landing may or may not be necessary. And I don't think landing over a match being lit is necessary. Sure, that's just my opinion, but I think that I am just as concerned about safety as anyone.

Unless she put the match in the trash can after then was done with it...

This lady does, however, have the claim that she cut one so bad it caused her flight to divert.

Anywho, back when I was in the military, we were on a 4 hour flight from New Orleans to Kelly AFB in San Antonio in a HH-60H. It was the middle of January and we were flying at 10000 feet, so it was cold and we had to keep the door shut. There was an airframe mech (We'll call him Steve) making the trip with us that had been eating hard boiled eggs and skittles (tasty combo, dont'cha think) since we left Navy JAX. This dude got sour stomach somewhere over southeast Texas and started firing in three round bursts. Absolutely the nastiest smell (almost a mix between Panther Musk and a dead sasquatch) I have ever had to endure, and he thought it was hilarious that we all had tears in our eyes. It had gotten so bad by the time we landed at Kelly, the HAC (who happened to be our CO) refused to let Steve back on the aircraft. We departed and Steve had to MAC his way to Fallon, NV.

Last edited:
My own personal payback recipe for a crewmember who has stunk up the front office without warning on more than one occasion. About 10 hours in advance eat the following; hard boiled eggs, cashews, 2 glasses of white wine and 2 glasses of milk. Then let it brew for 8-10 hours. The next morning without notice let em have it; it is just awful.

Latest resources

Back