Who does most the flying?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PhatAJ2008

The captian or first officer? Who does the take-off's and landings? Does the captian have to or is it the crews choice?

In my airplane, the FO flies the most. It's my choice. He is a young guy eager for the experience, so I let him have it.

PhatAJ2008 said:
The captian or first officer? Who does the take-off's and landings? Does the captian have to or is it the crews choice?
In my airplane, we have a spelling contest. Whoever can correctly spell the title of the guy in the left seat gets the leg. :)

TonyC said:
In my airplane, we have a spelling contest. Whoever can correctly spell the title of the guy in the left seat gets the leg. :)

ha, someday ( with permission of course) i wanna use that. but instead of title, im gonna use last name, i sometimes cant spell my own, 7 letters

TonyC said:

When I saw the title of this thread and that you had responded, I had an idea of what you were up to. :)

Stifler's Mom said:
When I saw the title of this thread and that you had responded, I had an idea of what you were up to. :)
Hey, I'm just trying to live up to a reputation, now. I wouldn't want to disappoint any of my fans, right?

I could have said that we usually split the legs down the middle, and if there's an odd number on the pairing, we flip for the extra, but that wouldn't have been nearly as humorous, I dare say.

:)

I used to alternate legs, but if there was an odd leg I usually took it, which was logical because I almost always took leg 1. If I liked the FO I gave them the choice of taking the odd leg.

On some very long days, I sometimes forgot who had the last leg. The FO always knew, though, cuz they wanted legs. If I really liked the FO, sometimes I let them take the majority of legs.

Any airline people NOT alternate legs? Just curious, and what was the reason? This question does not include high mins, or company-required Captain legs.

Same here

English said:
In my airplane, the FO flies the most. It's my choice. He is a young guy eager for the experience, so I let him have it.

Back in my Metroliner days I'd give away most of the flying because after 3000 hours in the stupid thing I just wasn't getting any better at flying it.

But I'd still trade the hand flying in cruise ever hour or so because we didn't have autopilots and that made for a very long day.

At my present gig, it seems the Capt takes the first leg....and then we switch crews...and the next Capt takes the first leg...and then we switch crews and... you get the point.

Latest resources

Back