Who do you corporate guys use?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flynearful

Who do you corporate guys use for flight planning/filing?

What do you think about your service provider?

I have noticed some flight ops. use flight plan service providers but also have dispatchers. What all do the dispatcher do if they also have a service provider that they get their flight plans from?

Our "schedulers" put the trips together and we user GDC to flight plan and get wx package info. It works good with few problems - easy to make changes, etc.

Flight planning and looking at the wx is my responsibility as PIC as well as determineing alternates, fuel, fuel reserves, etc. The go no-go decision is mine alone. Our dispatchers are basicly scheduleing trips and makeing sure the runway is long enough for where someone wants to go as well as making sure all the arrangements are made for the passengers. International flights might be handled though a service. Everything else is done by myself and the SIC (coffee, ice, newpapers, catering, preflighting, planning etc.)

MNR said:
Flight planning and looking at the wx is my responsibility as PIC as well as determineing alternates, fuel, fuel reserves, etc. The go no-go decision is mine alone. Our dispatchers are basicly scheduleing trips and makeing sure the runway is long enough for where someone wants to go as well as making sure all the arrangements are made for the passengers. International flights might be handled though a service. Everything else is done by myself and the SIC (coffee, ice, newpapers, catering, preflighting, planning etc.)

This is how it was at my 135 job I worked for a short time. Why they call them "dispatchers" I have no clue. I guess it makes the girls behind the desk feel important.
Call them Trip Coordinators, Trip Planners what ever you want. Just don't refer to them as Dispatchers, they wouldn't know W&B, WX, or ATC operations to save their lives.

What's in a name?

DX Rick said:
This is how it was at my 135 job I worked for a short time. Why they call them "dispatchers" I have no clue. I guess it makes the girls behind the desk feel important. Call them Trip Coordinators, Trip Planners what ever you want. Just don't refer to them as Dispatchers, they wouldn't know W&B, WX, or ATC operations to save their lives.

Lots of companies use the term dispatcher: trucking companies, railroads, bus companies, etc. I've even heard it used in reference to pushing an airplane back from the gate. "dispatching the airplane"

Websters has a couple of definitions that apply: 1)one that sends out buses trucks or cars according to a schedule 2) employee of a transporation company who controls the departures of vehicles according to weather conditions and in the interest of efficient service

With all due respect it sounds like you are the one who has the problem with who gets labeled a dispatcher, not the "girls behind the desk"

While I agree with ya, hoover, in a 121 operation it leads to confusion when the full definition of dispatch or dispatcher gets used for multiple persons or seperate operations.

Captain calls Dispatch: "Ramper told me to call dispatch. What do you want?"
Dispatcher: "Umm... I didn't make the request." Shouts around the room, "Is someone looking for Captain Buck Rogers in SLC?" "Well Captain, I guess it was Operations pretending to be Dispatch again. Why don't you give them a shout on the radio and see if they need ya."

Happens a lot.

While the definition for dispatcher may include many aspects of an airline operation, it would just be better to call Dispatch: Dispatch, and Operations: Operations.

And as long as everyone else is using the term dispatch for their job function, it keeps our 121 Dispatch profession more of a mystery to the public masses. I kinda like it that way.

(I even had a FO call asking for his dispatch. I had to ask, "Are you looking for the Dispatcher or the Release?" "Uhhh... yeah. The Release." LOL)

hoover said:
With all due respect it sounds like you are the one who has the problem with who gets labeled a dispatcher, not the "girls behind the desk"

No, I didn't really care what they called themselves. Even the owner of the company didn't like calling them dispatchers, because in aviation they aren't in the true sense a "Dispatcher"

He wanted to change it to Trip Coordinating, which be more of a correct term, but he left it up to the girls and the girls fought others in the office to keep it "Dispatch".

They both had dreams of becoming dispatchers and eventually Directors of SOC and what not. What they didn't know is that you needed a FAA ticket to do so.

I worked for a Part 135 outfit and the charter manager refered to herself as a dispatcher even though she did not have the slightest clue about anything on the ADX written. Granted, there are a bunch of guys and gals in biz av that have their dispatch tickets, but the work they do is closer to a glorified travel agent/ops controller rather than a dispatcher.

My understanding that it is different with companies like Flight Options and Netjets? Their dispatchers actually do filings, right?

Latest resources

Back