Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ACT700

What's it doing now?
What was the first airline Gann flew for? It was DC2/3s. Maybe I missed it in Fate is the Hunter.

Just curious, thanks.

It sure is. I just finished it.

It's unreal how a lot of what Gann decribes/relives, one can identify with. At least myself.

Probably one of the best books I have ever read, along with Antoine de Saint Exupery.

I just read an article on La Guardia airport in the latest Airways issue, and I sort of suspected it was AA.

ACT700 said:
It sure is. I just finished it.

It's unreal how a lot of what Gann decribes/relives, one can identify with. At least myself.

I definitely agree. I think I've read it cover to cover about 3 times so far and I'm sure I will read it again. Reading Gann's work makes me wish I had been born 70 years earlier :D

American Airlines, Air mail route 21. (AM-21)

Newark, NJ to
Wilkes-Barre, PA to
Syracuse, NY to
Rochester, NY to
Buffalo, NY to
Erie, PA to
Cleveland, OH

Didn't he jump from AA to Matson Airlines, which was subsequently forced out of business by Pan Am?

CoolHands you have the right idea! That was some real flying they did back then! I would love to fly a DC-3! AM21!

Tom

As someone else already mentioned, American Airlines, then Matson. I believe after Matson he flew for IASCO for a few years, but I could be wrong.

If you want to learn more about Gann, read "A Hostage To Fortune," his autobiography. It covers much of the same material as Fate is the Hunter, but includes names and has a different focus.

Latest resources

Back