• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who did Ernest Gann fly for?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I bought it at a small FBO in the middle of freaking NE last year.. For 15 bucks..

sleddriver77 said:
Does anybody have a good source for Gann's books these days? It seems like you can find Fate is The Hunter anywhere, but the others are all pretty hard to come by.

Try Half.com

"A Hostage to Fortune" was out of print for many years, but I've seen a reprints recently in aviation bookstores. I assume you could find the reprints on Amazon or somewhere.

sleddriver77 said:
Does anybody have a good source for Gann's books these days? It seems like you can find Fate is The Hunter anywhere, but the others are all pretty hard to come by.

Gann flew for TransOcean. The reason they were used in the High and the Mighty as well as Island in the Sky was that Ernie Gann had worked for them after Matson Air was shut down by the government at Pan Am's demand.

Gann had left AA along with Sloniger (AA senority #1) to fly for Matson from Oakland to Hawaii. When Matson shut down Gann got hired by Orvis Nelson (who had resigned from United) When William Wellman (director of both movies) hired Gann as screenwriter Gann got Transocean involved.

AAflyer

Latest resources

Back