• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

White House to Destroy More Airline Jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The argument that not everyone shows up sometimes is worthless. Sometimes, they do. And they should have the seat they paid for.

I completely agree. But as long as they let passengers change their departure times they never know who will show up.

I got an idea. NEVER EVER oversell a flight. You are guaranteed a confirmed seat 100% of the time. But if you dont show up for it, your money is GONE. You gotta buy another one.

You can still show up early and try to fly standby, but no more changes.

This is exactly what our smoking crater of an industry needs! "Hope and Change" indeed.

-Just wait 'til Nov!

While non-revving is a great benefit, I would rather see airlines not lose any more money, and not see any more pilots on the street.

Well I don't know about you, but our company claims that our "total compensation" includes the ability to non-rev on God's gift to the world, AA/Eagle.

The article says that passengers would have 24 hours to cancel a reservation without penalty. If I understand this correctly it means that when a customer makes a reservation they have 24 hours to change their mind. This is a great burden on the airline? If it were, the airlines could just change it to an 8 day or 15 day advance purchase to compensate.

Will this cancellation be like SWA’s policy, where there is no penalty, but SWA still owns your money and you can use it on another flight?

Seems like a brilliant idea to me. Let passengers cancel without penalty, and then penalize airlines who overbook to compensate. Therefore force airlines to fly around with empty seats, losing all kinds of money. Bye bye airline jobs.

Step back from the Fix News Revolution and take a deep breath.

How is this going to cause airline jobs to go away? The bulk of the ideas are actually good such as full disclosure of fees and keeping the pax informed of changes to the reservation. Many carriers already do this anyway.

Also, the bulk of reservations are advanced bookings ie several months in advance for lower fares. So if I buy a tkt in June for a trip in Oct and change my mind within 24 hrs and cxl what difference would it make to the airline? They will simply sell the seat to somebody else. Business travelers usually make up last minute bookings which are higher fares thus are changable anyway.

The prob w/ invols have been that with the reduction in capacity the numbers have gone up and this needed to be addressed. If I buy a tkt and show up on-time the I should get the seat that I paid for. The only way to get a carriers attention is in the pocket book.

We have done this to ourselves. Who else flew flights this weekend 100% full? All weekend with tons of paying pax not able to get on.

I support the rule. I do not believe the airlines should be able to oversell flights and strand passengers that paid for a ticket. People travel for a reason, and it is often an important one. Being left at the gate because the airline sold 115 tickets on a 100 seat airplane is inexcusable. If the demand is their to oversell a flight in the first place, they surely can charge a few more dollars per ticket to make up the lost revenue. After all, they were able to sell more tickets than they have seats.

The argument that not everyone shows up sometimes is worthless. Sometimes, they do. And they should have the seat they paid for.

I agree. And if you cancel at the last minute, you get little or zero refund...airline seats are a perishable commodity. You could still take a later flight as a standby, but not confirmed.

We have done this to ourselves. Who else flew flights this weekend 100% full? All weekend with tons of paying pax not able to get on.

Exactly. Industry gets as much regulation as it deserves and company management gets as much union as it deserves.

Actually it does not always work this way; wall street melt down, gulf oil spill, airline over booking... But it should.

Latest resources

Back