• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ISaidRightTurns

Move up or down 2 FL's?
(Rides are the same)

Turn 15 degrees off course for 1-1.5 minutes?
(WX not a factor)

Money is on the line.

Depends on many factors. Can we even climb due to a/c weight? Will we have enough fuel to make our destination if we descend? How far from destination are we?

Generally, I'd rather take the turn....but if we're close to destination, or simply would like to go higher, I'd take the lower/higher altitude respectively.

Enroute, turn or if other conditions are met, climb. Close to destination, turn or descend.

Generally speaking, I'd prefer to turn.

2000Flyer

Turn if it looks like a good direct clearance will be given to get us back on course.

Speaking of sequencing, why is it that Approach will slow you AND let you cut the corner on the arrival? Isn't that self-defeating?

EagleRJ said:
Turn if it looks like a good direct clearance will be given to get us back on course.

Speaking of sequencing, why is it that Approach will slow you AND let you cut the corner on the arrival? Isn't that self-defeating?

Most people subscribe to the theory of get them all pointed in the same direction, then use speed. It negates the wind and gives a better idea of speed difference; therefore how much spacing you will have in 2 minutes, 3 minutes....

Latest resources

Back