• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Which way to go-SWA or JetBlue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't like the Airbus design philosophy that keeps the pilot out of the loop. If the automation does something I want to see something in my cockpit move.

You do see something move when the airplane makes an input. It's called your primary flight display. I'm sure you remember that from 51-37 in UPT days.

I don't get very excited unless I'm on fire or somebody's shooting at me and none of that has happened since I left the big blue - so I wouldn't worry about a confused Tinkerbell like you getting me too upset.

Wow...Tinkerbell...that's a big word. Several syllables too. Very impressive...

V2

Ya'all crack me up! All this talk about who builds what and where? Who really freaking cares? Ya'all need to read a book written by Thomas Friedman called "The Lexus and the Olive Tree". It is an exceptional read on globalization and how every product made is globally connected in some way, shape or form. Also, I have flown the 73 with a major, got furloughed and now fly da bus! Da bus wins, IMHO. BTW, what the F%%$ck is NASCAR? Just kidding, Go Sterling!

-#1W

p.s. can we apply this America vs The World argument to beer? Australian bitters beat anything else.....flame away!

Here here #1W! Well said and I'll drink to that.

Cheers my friend!

V2

p.s. Gotta agree about the bitters.

Did you say beer?

Unfortunately, for the past year its been Natural Lite or Southpaw Lite ($5.29 a 12 pack)

If I had my druthers give me a good German Hefeweisen.

Slug

Gee Wally, I think we all owe Bambam a big apology here. I have to wonder if his decision will be any easier now that he knows what corvettes are made of (or do we... did we ever get that settled?) It does serve for fantasitc entertainment, though. Almost beats renting a movie.

Anyway, when I was doing IOE for my second airline back in '97 (Lone Star Airlines, of course!) my IOE captain was trying to get on at SWA. He finally did that year, and heck, I've lost touch with him but I bet he's a captain now, unless he wants it in DAL in which case he's got another 16 years to upgrade. I asked him if he had applied to any other majors, and he said "NO, I never applied to any other major because I don't want to work for any other major." That seemed like simple career advice to me, in spite of what the snake oil salesman in Atlanta might say. I never wanted to work for another company, so I didn't apply to any other company. I also wanted to be able to show up up to my SWA interview and be able to tell them just that with a clear conscience (I had to look that one up in my children's dictionary to get the spelling right). I also knew that JB was a fantasic company, absolutely, and no one could ever say anything negative about them (actually, I did fly with an FO a year and a half ago who said that her friend's cousin's uncle had been hired at JB. She said that he said that he said that JB's training was VERY hard and that people were washing out left and right).
Anyway, I also knew that if it ever came to it, it would be a really hard decision to do what Bambam has to do. So I figured if I didn't make it into the pool at SWA, THEN and only then I would shoot my stuff out to JB, then Fedex, UPS, Alaska, ATA, etc., all of which would be fine companies to work for. Then I could reapply at SWA two years later, but thankfully it didn't come down to that.
Now Bambam, I know that none of that helps you at this point.
I guess for you I'd thank my lucky stars (somewhat of a misnomer) to be as fortunate as you are, and then go with some of the previously posted advice here that I echo. JB is a great company and I think that their long term chances for survival are just about guranteed. Heck, SWA's chances for survival in 1973 were NIL and look how they turned out! I think pay and benefits will be a wash long term, so it really boils down to commuting. If you don't like the SWA domiciles, then you'd commute either way.
But if you live in a SWA domicile you'd be NUTS not to come to SWA. If you live in JFK I'd stay at JB. It's all about giving 100% of who you are to God, country, family, and your employer, so I'd go with whatever airline will help you do just that.
Good luck, my friend.

Hey Guys..How bout some humor..
You're forgetting one of the most important parts...
Which one has the best looking (female) FAs and throw the best parties.
If leadership from the top is any indication...I'd bet SWA CEO has better single malt than JB CEO!! Herb vs any CEO on that one!

I have no idea...don't work for either one..but that's gotta count for somethin don't it???

Much truth is said in jest.

In my mind it is not even a close call. Go to SWA.

Since JB is a fledgling start-up, your decision should primarily be based on the probabllity that JB will remain in business. Issues such as blue chips versus peanets, and the comfort of the cockpit on a B737 vs an Airbus is not the correct decision path.

While I have not seen first hand the financials of JB, I understand that they leased those new Airbus jets with deferred lease payments, which is how they are able to show a profit in their very short history.

Remember, the start-up costs to build an infrastructure of an airline is huge. How do you think an airline with all new jets, Direct TV, etc? It does so by negotiting as many expense deferrals as possible. The key question is will JB have develped margins that will be able to absobe the expense when the "balloon payment is due"?

Without a dobut, Mr. Needleman is a very smart man. The reality is that 98% of new airlines fail. SWA is tried and tested. They have competed with the big boys and have won. If you look at SWA's hisory, especially in its early years, they have sucessfully overcome increadable odds.

Based on what I have learned about JB's CEO, if anyone can make an airline sucessful, especially in todays business enviroment, it is him.

All in all, JB is still a significant gamble.

Good Luck

Latest resources

Back