Which way to go-SWA or JetBlue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Go to SWA, I need to move up a notch!! :D

I think stability, money, upgrade time, etc are a wash here...who the he11 knows...I'd go with the one that allows you to work for the next 20+ years without commuting. If its one thing I've learned from the older dudes is that plain and simple....commuting sucks...

"p.s. Hi to Dean and LL who both read this board on a regular basis."

You must be an arrogant little pr!ck, posting a snide comment like that. It only takes a couple of rotten miltary apples like you to spoil it for all the really good guys that come out of the armed service. Get your act together and try to behave like a professional..........

SWA all the way!

Go with SWA. Jet Blue is operating under temporary reduced lease rates on those French dump trucks they operate. Their true profitability is yet to be determined. I'm not saying that they won't do great, but if you want a sure thing...

Stay Blue

Stay put. Take your chances with Jet Blue and you will make it big if they stick it out. We are talking millionaire.

If it doesn't work you will always be able to get a job. You obviously can sell yourself or you wouldn't have gotten both jobs.

No one knows the future so don't kick yourself if you pick wrong.

Disclaimer: I am in the SWA pool so really want you to stay at JB and let me move up the ladder!! Either way we'll all be alright in the end cause we live in the land of opportunity.

Good luck

Lumber Yak said:
Also consider aircraft type. If you fly for SWA, you better not gain any weight - the 737NG is still quite tight despite being a nice aircraft to fly. The Airbus is an awesome aircraft - very ergonomic and comfortable - plus you get to use a nifty side-stick. All A320/A330 pilots I know LOVE the Airbus line of aircraft and never want to return to the 737s or 757s they previously flew... Just another consideration...

The arrogant Frogs at Airbus design an airplane that is designed to protect itself from the pilot, so it will allow itself to crash trying to prevent you from overstressing it to avoid the crash. Just check out their crashes at Basel, Strausberg, and Merignac. Two of which were accomplished with factory pilots. Nice design. The only military 737 we lost during that period of time was for traditional reasons - Ron Brown's demographically selected unqualified crew.

Boeing's design philosophy is to keep the pilot in the loop. None of the cockpit automation does anything without moving something in the cockpit. Not so in the A320. The autopilot is something that you can't get rid of, only interrupt. When you engage the approach mode, the controls lock-up and you become a passenger. No thanks - not for me.

Muddy

Muddauber -- You obviously don't understand the A320 if you think the autopilot cannot be completely disconnected. The controls do not "lock up" in the approach mode. If you don't understand the aircraft, then you have no business making these statements here.

BTW, your comments have nothing to do with Bambam's question, since he already flies the A320 and has a 737 type. I think he knows both aircraft well enough to decide which he would prefer to fly. This is not a question about aircraft types, but companies.

Bambam -- I think if you have to ask this question on a public forum to help you make up your mind, you probably should leave jetBlue. If you can't appreciate how good we have it here at jetBlue and think the grass may be greener at SWA, then by all means step across the fence to see for yourself. Of course, it's different for everybody, but if you are risk adverse and don't share the vision for the future of this company, then go with SWA. There is no doubt that they are tried and true. I have lots of friends who fly for SWA and I always wanted to fly for them ... UNTIL I learned about all the cool things going on at jetBlue. While SWA will still be fun, I don't think you'll find the same level of excitement about the new technology and leading edge developments we have at jetBlue--not just with the airplane, but how we do business. If you're not thrilled to be here, I'm sure there are lots of people who will be thrilled to take your place.

Before this turns into a Boing vs Airbus thing, I would like to say thanks for the input from all.

I would also like to say that the company I work for is great. The planes, mx, people, management are all top notch and the future of both companies is bright.

The only drawback is the double-leg off-line commute required by one carrier and not the other. (Amen Gumbydammit) Moving is not an option due to a family situation.

Albie, as always, an insightful and well thought out response. Thanks.

Dogg, I was not trying to be snide, but from conversations with both of these very intelligent people, I do know that they read this board and I wanted others to know same. I am sorry if that seemed unprofessional to you.

I realize that there are many who would love to be making this decision right now and I am truely blessed to have the chance to make the choice. I appreciate all of the thought put into the responses.

Thanks,

Bambam

I'm sure SWA is more fun.

You may find this hard to believe, but many pilots at airlines other than SWA actually have fun on the job too. :)

However, I'd take a job at Southwest for the job security. At my age, and with my family responsibilities, I'd give up a little fun for a more secure, stable environment. Although in this industry, nothing is a sure thing anymore. To the thread starter, good luck on whichever one you choose, and whatever you decide, don't look back and second guess yourself.

Bam Bam, I just re- read my reply to your post and realized how unprofessional it was. You caught me at a rare moment and I apologize for that. Just never seems like you see a civilian on the board with that question. Go for the gold and don't look back............

Latest resources

Back