• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

kansas

Seeee yaaaaaaaaa!
Hello everyone-

I am headed off to class for my new regional job in a couple of weeks. What do you recommend for a good, lasting suitcase that won't totally break the bank? What do you carry?

Thanks for your help-
Kansas

Costco bag - $90
Stay away from TravelPro!

Seems like the opening question is well answered allready, so let me throw another question: For pilots living out of their suitcases working contracts or staying at locations for 3-6 months or maybe longer, but without a permanent place to live: how much "stuff" is practical to bring along?

I'm looking at all the "stuff" I've accumulated while living at one location for a couple of years, and even if I throw away everything that isnt cool and fun, I still have like 15-20 cubic feet worth of electronics and other "necessary" gadgets. Do you guys ship it all with moving truck companies, or do you only bring along essentials? What about offshore locations?

I like Tumi. I'd also consider a wheeled kit bag for turns, if you end up doing them.

As for what stuff you need, only you can answer that! In my younger days just starting, a compact pickup was absolute greatness for doing the kind of moving and traveling you seem ready to do.

Good luck in your new job!

I saw one the other day that was made out of polypropylene laminated corrugated box, for durability and weather proofing. It had sturdy rope handles on it and because it could unfold into sleeping quarters it made a great impromptu crash pad.

V1Cutt said:
Costco bag - $90
Stay away from TravelPro!

Amen - Costco bag is the only way to go! I've been through a couple of them in the past couple of years, and at the sign of any problem (noisy wheel, etc - minor stuff) I take it back and they have given me a brand new one. Just hang on to the receipt, and I've never had any problem. It holds up much better than TravelPro.

An interesting point about the TravelPro bags' warranty - a luggage repair company asked if I was a crewmember...I said 'yes' (stupidly) and he stated that the warranty wasn't valid for a crewmember because of the increased use. He then presented a bill for $76.20...I told him to keep the bag (spare parts?) and I went and picked up a Costco bag. Been using it ever since!

I have a costco bag too, and love it. I haven't had any problems with it, but I think I'm a little bit easier on it then you regional guys.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back