Which school would you choose?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
moxiepilot said:
All I'm saying is don't limit your options or path. You'll find a lot of older folks on this site who are happy with cargo, 135 ops, flight instruction and other things.

Great advice. I just recieved a card from a good friend of mine for my 29th birthday. You guys are going to laugh, but I was feeling a bit old. The card says:

"Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

How true! And since then, I've realized just how young I am. Sure, I'm a bit old for your average instructor, but I'm enjoying it thoroughly and I wouldn't want to be doing anything else right now, and to be honest, that includes flying for an airline. That's good, because to achieve my goals, I'll have to do a bit more instructing. But I enjoy it, and it pays the bills. What more could I ask for? I don't mind, therefore, it doesn't matter. Do what makes you happy. Life's too short do be doing something else.

-Goose

BTW, about the age thing, i am gonna turn 31 and I just got my first pax flying job after having instructed for 1.5 years.
A friend of mine got on with Chautauqua and he was over 35 , so dont worry too much about it.
good luck

Flight Safety is too expensive. I would recomend Pairs Air in Vero Beach FL. Not a bad place, smaller, less expensive, but they have good instructors and a lot cheaper than Flight Safety

Wow, did I forget to include the moral of the story? Apparently I did, because my point didn't get across.

Moral of the story: Don't let age be a determining factor. Don't run out and spend the big bucks because you think you are too old for any other route. Determine the course of action that is best for your in all aspects. Those academies are awfully good at churning out pilots, but the number one factor that determines the quality of your training is the skill of your instructor. Don't be afraid to go the FBO route. It is generally a lot cheaper, and you can progress through your training just as quickly (if not more) than the large academies. Not to mention the crowd at a good FBO is a lot of fun to hang out with. And you probably wouldn't have to relocate.

-Goose

Get a job instructing!!! You will learn MORE being an instructor than in any other aviation job. I know of lots of places that look for people who instructed. It is favorably looked upon. It is the best experience you can get. It may be hard for you to imagine that instructing could be so beneficial but it is. When you teach others you are really teaching yourself.

500 hrs of bought 72 time won't teach you as much as you think, and it does not make you stand out in the pile of resumes.This kind of time is unfavorably looked upon by many.

You want the SKILLS that the airlines are looking for, and you'll find them instructing. I used to run a frasca and did a lot of interview prep scenarios. Without exception the guys who skipped instructing SUCKED!

I donlt know about the ads you read, and the basis of the other opinions but...I've done the FSI thing and it worked out fine for me. But it has been stated, you've got to crunch the numbers and decide for yourself...

bdeitsch said:
Now I know a lot of schools out there tend to bend, twist, and stretch the truth to make themselves look good. Hell, I would to if I were competing for students and each one was going to spend anywhere from $50,000 to $100,000.

You answered your own question. Those places will take a disproportionate amount of money and cause you many headaches for whatever "experience" they offer. There is no substitute for real, bona-fide, earned experience. Especially in aviation.

Finish your degree. Finish your CFI. Teach for your school or another FBO or both. If you're a good instructor you will have no shortage of students. You'll be on your way to a long series of entry level jobs in no time.

Latest resources

Back