Which path would you choose?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pipeline

Go with the pipeline gig. Get as much time as you can. You never know when things could break and you want to have the time to move on. Think about it 1500 a year vs. 400 a year. That's a no brainer. Get in one year what is going to take you 3 and half years the other way. Good Luck in whatever you do.

"2. Flight instruct @ a 61/141 school and get 900 hours per year.
=maybe a few instrument students eventually, very little knowledge or multiengine time, good pay."

Personally, I'd choose option #2 even though I think you have mischaracterized it somewhat. This is the traditional way that most of us chose and it has stood the test of time. If you hook up with the right school there will be plenty of instrument students and plenty of ME time and you won't have to wait two years to take advantage of the ME time. I'm not sure what you mean by the comment 'very little knowledge' at a 61/141 school. Your students will have to meet the same PTS standards and take the same FAA writtens as any college student.

Thanks for all the responses, if anyone else has any other opinions please add it!

My comment about the knowledge I'll gain at a 61 school is relative to being at a school with aspiring professional pilots. I really want to have the opportunity to teach beyond the private level if I instruct.

I am starting to agree with those of you who suggest the pipeline gig. After looking all across the nation, it seems that you need the 1500. I haven't had a single person tell me that they will allow me to start flying their cargo with 700 hrs of TOP QUALITY time.

I wish I could dabble in each, but I want to get to the jets soon than later.

About twenty months ago, I searched high and low and never found a pipeline gig. If you find, one, send me a private. I'd like to hear who I missed.

Instructing is definitely more work and if you take it seriously, more rewarding. Having done it for almost 3 years full time I can tell you that after about a year you will wish you were flying pipleline and although I've never had a similar job, after about a year you will wish you had something with more variety.

Instructing will force you to keep current. Pipeline lets you fly left seat. I remember after a few months of busy instructing I was happy just to be able to hop into a plane and taxi it down to maintenance.

All in all, if you are a motivated individual, it probably doesn't matter. I would go with what gives you the most hours, the most money, the best company to work for, or the opportunity for the most advancement. Not necessarily in that order of priority. Decide which one is important to you and follow through.

If the 135 gig is a:
1. crew environment and,
2. turbine,(multi)

I would go for the 135.

second choice would be the Total time gig, 1500 in a year.

you alresdy have the degree, get out there and get some real flying experience.

flight instruction...blah, blah, blah.....?

Pipeline jobs

Everyone talks about getting a pipeline job - as if these jobs are easy to get and will fall into your lap. Truth is, they are as hard to get as a commuter jobs. There are just soooooo many low-timers (and a few higher-timers, too) trying to get what are really very few jobs. You see these jobs advertised in such pubs as Air Jobs Digest and Trade-a-Plane. You apply, and never hear anything.

Just a little perspective to keep in mind. Instructing is realy the easiest entry-level job to get.

lancair1-
Since "we" were in such agreement concerning the "gun issue" I thought I would lend my $.02-lol (maybee u won't be so "agreeable" concerning this issue)....I would reccomend highly "IF" you can go the CFI/CFII route do it since most if not all employers are going to want to see that you have instructed to build "experience" THEN latch on with a 135 operator for your multi-engine flight "experience"....I am 23 years of age and fortunately have over 440 hours of turbine time logged as well as a pretty nice 135 company record.(training, flight checks, etc..) I went this route and for the most part I have been pretty pleased with my progress since my dream has always been to fly for a major airline one day BUT with todays hiring I think I have a veryyyyy long way to go now however I do strongly feel that when that day does present itself (IF it does) that I will have a pretty solid and well diversified background in aviation as well as a nice resume... The best part (in MY opinion) of 135 flying is the vast and overall experience & knowledge which you will gain in somewhat of a "standardized" environment working as a "crew"..I have found that this has helped shape ME into a pretty well rounded pilot. However with that being said I still feel that the only reason that I was given the opportunity in the first place was due to my CFI/CFI tickets since I do feel that this did open the door- You are still going to need a tad of "luck" since most 135 operators now seem to be shying away from the lower time pilots for right seat gigs due to the wonderful insurance reqt's which seem to be the deciding factor these days. Our company for example is "now"looking" for SIC's with prior turbine experience as well as prior 135 flying preferred since once a pilot hits the magic 135 PIC minimums they do expect you to upgrade immediately without any delay due to the jets that we also have on our ticket. There are still many many 135 operators out there however that are still hiring low time pilots for SIC gigs- IF you play your cards right then I see absolutely no reason why you wouldn't be able to land a 135 SIC job at a relatively low amount of flight time....

Once again this was "MY" choice of routes to go and as you see their are many many ways to obtain your ultimate goal(s) which mostly depends on YOUR personal preference, I just thought the route I picked would leave me sitting pretty after awhile (still to be seen).... IF you do choose to fly 135 on your days off you can still flight instruct which will help you build your total "experience" time up and before you know it you will then be right at 135 PIC minimums and comfortable with the upgrade as well as being a "qualified" 135 PIC-

At 23 years of age I like my odds and whatever route you do choose "I wish you wind at your six and dreams come true at your twelve"....

C H E E R S

3 5 0

any questions that I may be able to answer ask away.....

The 135 SIC choice is not a good one. You need PIC and PIC multi. It also helps to be paid

As much as I usually "agree" with Bobbysamd in 99.99% of his posts I must disagree with the philosophy pertaining to 135 SIC time as "useless" and "not a good choice".....

1)In "most" cases YOU (atleast I) are working for highly respected, safe, and known 135 flight department who ensure that the person occupying the right seat IS properly trained, and is a safe & competent pilot.- I do not agree that "multi-pic" is that important to pass up a part 135 SIC position due to the fact that quite afew 135 outfits are operating equipment that do NOT require a type rating which in return YOU are able to log ALL 91 legs as PIC time. (ex- King Air 90's, 100,s, etc, etc,etc..yada yada...(IF anything this "experience" is looked upon as "valued" and a "good choice"...

2) Also the "91 legs" you will be given the opportunity to fly left seat in turboprop equipment which I do not believe that many other opportunities are out there for "low time pilots" to be able to not only log PIC turbine time BUT also the "experience" factor which one obtains is "priceless" in my opinion..

3) I cannot see any better multi-engine PIC time than having "turbine" time in the logbooks. (my opinion)....

4) POTENTIAL for future upgrade is pretty good as well as better and "heavier" equipment to follow. As soon as I hit the "magic" 1200TT and other 135 PIC minimums are met I WILL take the 135 PIC check ride. Also the jets which we operate I will soon transition into the SIC position in the very near future. I am not aware of "too many" "lower time" pilots being given this opportunity...

5) I can't see how flying as a SIC for a 135 operation can be looked at as a "negative" by any future employers IF the position is "legit" and the SIC is properly trained as well as a formal 135 SIC check ride passed....

ALL of our SIC's are paid a very fair amount of money per trip, per diem, expenses all paid, etc, etc, etc,...... I do realize some 135 outfitters are "renting" the right seat out EX> Tab Express which I cannot see a pilot "BUYING" or "RENTING" the seat out..... IF you are fortunate enough to find a 135 company willing to train and PAY you for your services and in my opinion I would jump at that opportunity in a heart beat...

The networking that you can also accomplish flying 135 in my opinion are "priceless" and your name will get out there and plenty more opportunities will present themselves...

look VERY carefully at this "possible" opportunity that you may or may not have before making any immediate choices pertaining to your future.- I strongly feel that in business especially in aviation you will have plenty of competition and it is ultimately up to YOU to make yourself stick out and more marketable, more "qualified" than the next guy which could be a factor in a future job offer as well as you obtaining your ultimate goals... Right now supply is well exceeding the demands so you can most definately expect fierce competition in the job market and in my opinion 135 time is just as good IF not better than anything else out there at this point in "your" ballgame...

Once again good luck to you..

C H E E R S
3 5 0

Thanks for all the great advice!

I may end up re-hashing a few of the topics here, but:

I have often heard that in the first 1000 hours the seat time is necessary, but that it doesn't really matter what you are flying.

Does anyone have an opinion on the value of sic/some pic time in a 402 versus flight time instructing or flying pipeline? Or does the opinion above stand true that I just need the time and experience of sitting in a seat for a thousand?

If you had 200, and were offered 500 in the next year as 135 sic in a 402 would you take that over flying 1,000 in little cessnas?

Latest resources

Back