which palm pilot?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

regionalcap

I was thinking about getting a palm pilot. Does anyone have any suggestions or some that I should avoid? I appreciate the help. Also,I know that Logbook pro is advertised on here. Has anyone used www.AloftFlightLog.com for logbook software?

I had an M130 Palm Pilot and cannot find it. So, I just went to Ebay and bought another one. It was $69.95 Buy It Now from an outfit in SAN. You also have to pay the shipping. I spent over $300 for the first one at Best Buy, so I was glad to replace it so inexpensively. They are great because you can put your whole schedule in it. Used to use it all the time at the airlines for that, now use it for my business schedules also.

Kathy

Ipaq Guy

I've had an Ipaq for years and it is great.
BUT, I'm now planning to get the Blackberry 7100, it is awesome, although not as flexible with the aftermarket software.
In the 5 or so years I've used PDA's, 99% of my use is Calendar, Contact list and voice recorder. With the 7100 I'll be able to add calls, email and very basic web surfing.

It's just like any other piece of technological equipment: What do you want to do with it? Something simple, then the Palm Zire series may be for you. I went with the Tungsten E, as I wanted a better resolution and I got a good deal on it.

Figure out what you want it to do and then perhaps you'll get a better response.

I'm not looking to get anything too fancy or expensive. I wouldn't want to put a lot of money into it then lose it. I'll just be using it for schedules, contacts, calendars, logbook, etc. Thanks for the insight.

Look closely at the lower end Palms then. That's what I wanted mine for, and it works pretty good. I have some issues with the software, but once you get use to it, it works well.

You can catch most of them for under $200. Don't forget some sort of case. Otherwise, you'll ding the crap out of it.

Palm pilot

I have an older Palm V11x. It is monochrome but has wireless capability to check/compose e-mail etc... although I don't use that feature ($10.00/month)

All I use mine for is my downloaded work schedule, which links with the logbook (Airline pilots daily logbook), calender and downloaded airline schedules for commuting. I also use the address book. Come to think of it I use it alot!!

You can get on on e-bay for 50-60 bucks. If I lose mine I don't really think I'll be too upset, my data is all backed up. I'll just get another one. Or maybe upgrade to a tungston for all the pretty colors.

COOPERVANE said:
I have an older Palm V11x. It is monochrome but has wireless capability to check/compose e-mail etc... although I don't use that feature ($10.00/month)
I had a VIIx, they shut that down a couple months ago. Palm.Net no longer exists, I was one of the last subscribers. If you want something similar, you have to buy one of the Palms with a cellphone in it, pay the cellphone fee, pay a data surcharge, pay a special service charge on top of the data surcharge, pay taxes for phone service, pay taxes on top of that for data service, etc etc. It's very much outside my budget now, so I do without.

The vIIx died shortly afterward (leaky battery... my fault) and I got a m505 off EBay to replace it. It's really great at rememebering all the small notes that I'm supposed to be remembering, and I have the AOPA directory and an E6B on it - neither of which I have actually used yet, other than showing off the directory to people ^_^ I haven't even turned it on in the airplane, let alone tried to write on it, but I imagine it'll be difficult the first few times. I tend to use it more as a notepad/clock than a PDA, but for those two items it's more than useful enough to justify having it. Oh, and the backlight makes a fairly effective flashlight, too.

After working for Palm as a "product engineer" and owning both Palm and PocketPC software I would recommend the current PocketPC line. For use in calendars, notes, tasks, etc it is far more compatible with the MS Outlook software (which if you understand word will not be difficult). Palm has it's own proprietary software that can get rather rudimentary in its features and lacks the compatibility of the MS product. I would also make sure that regardless of which one you pick it should have a removable battery. The ones with the fixed batteries go bad rather quickly while you can replace the other ones saving you time and money. A good low-end model with this feature is the HP Ipaq 1945.

One other consideration may be wireless access. As many hotels and airports offer wireless access you can take advantage off this with most devices offering 802.11 compatibility. This would allow you to check email and browse some basic websites all with just your PDA.

Latest resources

Back