• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Which Company is better USA Jet or Ameristar

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How are the schedules at USA Jet? Are the trips mostly out and back or are you generally gone for long stretches? How about on the 9?

Gone

Bluto, Mostly you fly to the boarder, spend the night and fly back the next day. This might make up about 20% of our trips. But there is no common thread to USA Jet cargo trips on either airplane, they just come and go and often change in the middle. The DC-9 pax runs are scheduled 6 months in advance, you go out for five nights and you are home for five nights 90% of the time. BTW the average pilot is gone from YIP 132 hours per month, based upon pre-deim paid to those who do not sell days. For those who sell days they average about $1,000 a addtional income per month for every additonal 24 hours away from YIP per month. If that makes any sense.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
BTW the average pilot is gone from YIP 132 hours per month, based upon pre-deim paid to those who do not sell days. For those who sell days they average about $1,000 a addtional income per month for every additonal 24 hours away from YIP per month. If that makes any sense.

Is that right? Your pilots are only gone an average of (132 hr/24 hr=) 5.5 days a month? That just doesn't seem to coincide with what I have heard about your schedules in the past.

If that's true, then a DC-9 FO could fly 8hrs a day for 6 days (48hrs if even possible), and collect his min. guarantee of 65 hrs for the month.

Either this is a fantastic deal, or I am missing something. Unfortunately your only base is YIP, and that's out of the question for me...

Just the facts mam

Lost, simply the facts, that all it is is the facts mam. I took total pre-deim paid to pilots who did not sell days during the last year and divided by $1.58 came up with hours paid divided by the number of pilots who did not sell days and it equals the number of hours per year of pre-diem earned per pilot divided by 12 comes out to 132 hours per month average. Just the facts mam, just the facts. BTW we don't fly much in the slow season, but in the busy month breaking guarentee is common thing

Last edited:
Thanks YIP.

I think I finally wrapped my mind around the concept of it being a straight "average". So more than likely, summertime your gone 20+ days a month working your tail off, and then come winter your sitting around not working much if at all.

The numbers just kinda jumped out at me, and I couldn't see past the average 6 days of work a month.

Still doesn't sound too bad, if you can get past the whole living in SE Michigan part...

Work days versus gone days.

They may work more than an average of 5 days per month, but many work days are out and back only gone from YIP for 12 hours. I think the DA-20 actually flies an average of 10 days per month and the DC-9 an average of 7 days per month. Of course they are in a status to be alerted 19 days a month on the DA-20 and 17 days a month on the DC-9.

Last edited:
I heard Central Air Southwest is a well organize company that treat their pilot right. Its very stable and aircraft are very well maintained. You should try Central Air Southwest.

Skyta, Central Air Southwest flies Piston Commanders with one turboprop converted one. This guy is looking for jet PIC time. 2 of the people in our last Ameristar class did come from central air southwest though. Put in your 6 months and get your multi piston pic and come over basically. I put in just under a year at my check hauling company.

You gotta work on your material man. ;)

Latest resources

Back