Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gojet....

Last edited:
What if you get a job offer from more than one airline?
Then thats a good problem to have. If I had an offer from the airlines you mentioned, for me, it would be a no brainer: Delta.

The "which airline should I go to" question is one that only you can answer. Everyone has their own motivations, such as where you want to live, work rules, etc. Determine your own. The thing I have learned about this industry is that you have no idea what will happen in a couple years, or even tomorrow. My airline went from hiring 35+/month to zero for the past 1.5 years. The best route to take is determine your #1 "dream" airline and make that your goal. Take the first thing that comes along on your way there.

Eastern, TWA, Braniff, Pan Am. Pan Am is launch customer for 747, so that would be a cool place to be. All are established companies with international flying. "Proven" companies.

I repeat, Southwest, that outfit called "Federal Express" (flying Falcons to carry mail !), and that freight company United Parcel Service (they have those brown trucks) is looking at buying some planes to "try out" air freight (which won't work,thats why we have the MAIL - duh).

Stay away from those. You might be the first pilots hired in their history but it won't last and your retirement won't compare to big Pan Am.

I would use them as "stepping stones", maybe try out the airline world at SWA for a couple years but I would focus all my efforts into sliding over to TWA or Pan Am, they dominant the 747, L-1011, etc international arena and your career earnings and job stability will be much better off.

Also stay away from federal government jobs. Your income is "fixed" and retirement will always be X. FAA Flight Inspection, US Customs, etc are rumored to be hiring big time soon but keep your eye on the goal of AIRLINE PILOT. Pass on those jobs and interviews, you will just get side-tracked. You invested a lot in your training, go to the place it will be rewarded. That is the big iron-international carrier.

If you need further info, go to the library and read some of the books by DARBY, KIT. That will get you started.

Last edited:
Eastern, TWA, Braniff, Pan Am. Pan Am is launch customer for 747, so that would be a cool place to be. All are established companies with international flying. "Proven" companies.

I repeat, Southwest, that outfit called "Federal Express" (flying Falcons to carry mail !), and that freight company United Parcel Service (they have those brown trucks) is looking at buying some planes to "try out" air freight (which won't work,thats why we have the MAIL - duh).

Stay away from those. You might be the first pilots hired in their history but it won't last and your retirement won't compare to big Pan Am.

I would use them as "stepping stones", maybe try out the airline world at SWA for a couple years but I would focus all my efforts into sliding over to TWA or Pan Am, they dominant the 747, L-1011, etc international arena and your career earnings and job stability will be much better off.

Also stay away from federal government jobs. Your income is "fixed" and retirement will always be X. FAA Flight Inspection, US Customs, etc are rumored to be hiring big time soon but keep your eye on the goal of AIRLINE PILOT. Pass on those jobs and interviews, you will just get side-tracked. You invested a lot in your training, go to the place it will be rewarded. That is the big iron-international carrier.

If you need further info, go to the library and read some of the books by DARBY, KIT. That will get you started.

SWA won't make it a couple years. Braniff will kick their arse out of town.

Latest resources

Back