• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Where did you do your training?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yup, did the Plus One thing myself. I think the flying clubs are the way to go, especially for the private. Find yourself a well worn 152 or 172 and an old William Kershner type CFI. 141 schools are good for the Instrument and maybe the commercial but definitely the CFI (best place to get an "in" for a job). I wanted to go to one of the big pilot factories, like UND or ERAU when I got out of high school. However, I didn't have the money.

As for me this is how my training went:
1996: Private, 141 School (American Flyers).............................$4,200
1998: Instrument, 141 School (SDFTI).......................................$3,600
2000: SE/ME Commercial, Flying Club & 141 School (SDFTI)...........$14,200
2000: CFI/CFII/MEI, Flying Club & 141 School (SDFTI)..................$7,500

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks guys for your posts. There seems to me quite a range of where you guys were trained. Just shows you don't have to train at a big school to get recognised by the regionals.

Many thanks.

JB.

Get a degree in something other than aviation. It's great to have something to fall back on if you lose your medical someday. And while you are working on a non-aviation related degree, go train at your local FBO and get your ratings there. You'll save a bunch of money and walk away with the same ratings as someone paying six figures for them at UND. Good luck.

U S Navy

US Navy at Pensacola, NAS Saufley, NAS Whiting and NAS Corpus Christi.

Latest resources

Back