Where did ASA & ACA Callsigns come fr?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Badger

Candler & Blue Ridge...any ideas? I haven't been able to find anything on them anywhere.

Any other good factoids not in the company info section on their websites would be helpful.

Thanks

I think call sign "Blue Ridge" comes from the Blue Ridge Mountains in our area where ACA is headquartered (Northern Virginia, Dulles).

ASA's original callsign was "ACEY"

We had it for years and years. One day one of our flights was going into AMA or LBB, somewhere out west, and was talking to a controller who was working a military flight with the same callsign. (One flight on UHF, the other on VHF, so they couldn't hear each other) This controller didn't like it, got OKC involved, and after determining the military unit actually had been ACEY before ASA was, got the Feds to force us to change it.

Suggestions were taken from the pilots for possible new callsigns (Widget, Thrasher, and lots of others were suggested) but between management and the Feds, we wound up with Candler. I don't know of a single line pilot who liked it. (The Office Cube Desk Drivers loved it I hear)

The first few weeks we started using it, we got called all sorts of interesting things by ATC. Chandalier, Canadair, Carnival.

If you listen real close, real early in the mornings or real late at night, you can still occasionally here guys say "Acey, uhh, I mean Candler......"

New Callsign rumor

Heard lately that the guys in the office are jumping for joy. We heard the military unit in NM with the call sign may be disbanded and ASA could then get the ACEY call sign back. As of Friday - it was being checked on. Should hear something soon.

Re: New Callsign rumor

FlyinT said:
Heard lately that the guys in the office are jumping for joy. We heard the military unit in NM with the call sign may be disbanded and ASA could then get the ACEY call sign back. As of Friday - it was being checked on. Should hear something soon.

Don't tease me.

re: Call sign rumor

I personally like "widget" instead of candler! I guess we would
have to make it "small widget" or "express widget", etc. :) (TIC)!

601Pilot

Latest resources

Back