• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Where can I find a low hour job

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Haulin' Checks, although not glamorous, requires more time, experience and competance [couldn't resist] than a Regional Airline FO at hiring date. Typically, the check-haulers will have at least twice the experience than an FO at hiring date, and fly single-pilot.

Be patient - 'only fools rush in'. Try to get a job instructing in the 141 environment, and you'll make a good candidate for most regional airlines, just make sure your 141 school has a multi, that you'll be able to instruct in it.

NoPax said:
Haulin' Checks, although not glamorous, requires more time, experience and competance [couldn't resist] than a Regional Airline FO at hiring date. Typically, the check-haulers will have at least twice the experience than an FO at hiring date, and fly single-pilot.

Be patient - 'only fools rush in'. Try to get a job instructing in the 141 environment, and you'll make a good candidate for most regional airlines, just make sure your 141 school has a multi, that you'll be able to instruct in it.

From the looks of your profile it doesnt look as though you have flown at a regional so how exactly can you determine who has competance and whom doesnt. Dont talk down about a pilot group whom you dont know or are a part of A$$Hole. You dont see anyone on here saying how cargo haulers are any less of pilots. And if i saw someone talking down about cargo flyers i would say the same thing.

Thanks Superpilot.

You're right, 'competant' wasn't a good use of vocabulary, and I haven't flown at a Regional, and haven't wanted to.

My point is this:
Check-hauling, Single-Pilot IFR with minimums to 1800RVR is not a 'low-time' job. I'm not happy that anyone thinks so. Flying an approach to 1800 RVR is tough without an autopilot, co-pilot, in an airplane that has very rudimentary equipment, after 4-6 hours of hand-flying a night; but it has been done and 'builds character'.

Minimums for hire at a typical Regional are 600TT 100ME
Minumums at 135 Cargo are 1200TT, 500XC, 100 Night, 75 Instrument (50 actual) + 100 Multi time - typically

This was my point mr discount airline pilot guy!

gotta agree with nopax there. frieght dogs have a much harder job than regional f/o.

i flew 135 charter in the northeast. old, $hitty, broken down planes that needed a paint job. we were basically freight dogs with people in the back, during the day...with an autopilot. ok. so we weren't freight dogs. but we still had to hand-fly all the approaches to mins.

all i'm saying is single pilot 135 in an old 402, in an area known for low ifr (1800rvr, 35 gusting 50 in the winter, etc) is much harder than being a regional f/o in a jet, with a 4000 hr captain to help make decisions, an autopilot to fly the approach to mins, a flight director, etc.

not sure where you came from. you've probably got more time than me. not trying to be cocky. just giving my opinion. hopefully someone agrees.

Can i have your Autograph?

It may be different flying an old POS aircraft but that doesnt mean a regional fo sucks as a pilot. Do you have any idea how many people that are regional FOs that were previous 135 cargo flyers. I didnt fly checks or cargo but i have flown aircraft down to mins in light twins with students is there a difference? As a professional pilot i would hope we could all fly down to mins. Yes it does build character I agree. But you need to stop beating your chest because you can fly an ILS in a C402. Congrats your a pilot. You are the type of people that need to fly single pilot because by all means you know you are a better pilot than anyone else. Someone needs to wake up to reality and quit thinking you are better than others. Thats the mentality of people that most people cant stand flying with.

Carry on!!

dude. re-read my post. did i say regional f/o's suck? was i beating my chest?

i don't do the single pilot thing anymore. i'm a 135 hawker f/o, upgrading next month...in front of a 37 yr old guy that's been here almost a year longer than me. lol. he went from instructing to regional f/o. that wasn't my point, but it's a funny conincidence.

i didn't say regional f/o's suck. i said single pilot 135 guys have a harder job.

read it again.

i'm sorry. i'm not trying to fan the flame here, but i've gotta ask.

2 questions about the times you flew down to mins with students.

#1 - was the weather at mins?

#2 - you were with a student in a twin. were you both flying? were your hands on the controls? were you flying these approaches to mins from the right seat and making your student watch?

like i said man, not trying to fan the flame but i've gotta ask. you're probably a pretty cool guy. not trying to start a fight.

Hey Starvin i know you are ex Care but where you flying the Hawker out of ASH, PWM?

Latest resources

Back