Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mar

Remember this one?
We all know how the lifestyle of a professional pilot is less than favorable to good sleep habits.

What are your tricks or tips for helping to nod off when you find yourself with an early morning departure after two weeks of afternoon departures and late block-ins?

I have a few techniques but I must choose wisely because one or the other may not be entirely "appropriate" for the activity scheduled first thing in the morning.

I might:

--Go workout at the gym and follow that with an extremely hot sauna.

--A variation of the first one: Just have a very hot shower.

--Have a nip of whiskey or vodka after either of the first two (observing all FAR limitations of course, that goes without saying).

--Take two Tylenol PMs and one beer (same caveat).

--Have a cup of herbal tea and read.

--Or I just won't fight it. I'll go to sleep at midnight and get up at four instead of going to bed at eight and tossing and turning for eight hours.

I find that four hours of peaceful sleep is better than eight hours of tossing and turning.

Whatdya think?

MAR,

I have to agree with your last statement. I find that if I toss and turn for a whole night, I'm tired and feel like my brain is half a step off from the rest of the world. When I get just a few hours, I'm still tired but, but I can stay focused and make it through the day ok. Several days in a row of reduced sleep, and I'm in trouble though. The Tylenol PM trick works for jet lag and changing shifts too. (day to night or the other way around)

I have tried it all...

Now I just sleep when I am tired. Period... I stopped trying to figure out the "best" time.

I know Melatonin works for some, but I tried it and it gave me a rippin' hangover feeling....:(
I have also heard others priase the Tylenol PM thing..I just hate taking anything..

The trick is also to strive for hotels with 24hr room service and 24hr health club/gym. That way you can comfortably live like a vampire if you want (need) to.

:D :D

MELATONIN - Works well and is inexpensive ($3/bottle). The first 2-4 times you use it may have the opposite effect and might keep you up in addition to giving you some wild dreams (named hotties with chainsaws chasing me through an abandoned building). So give it a try on off days.

After a few uses the dreams go away and it causes a deep sleep that makes some feel groggy when they wake up. Most pills come in 3mg doses which is overkill. Using a 1/4 or 1/2 tablet under the tongue, will give the desire effect in 5-15 minutes. When opening the bottle, write the date on it and pitch it after 3 months. It will oxidze and cause you to wake up with a headache.

KAVA KAVA is another choice. It too is not very expensive and induces a very deep relaxation. . .somewhat similar to an experience some may have experimented with in college. 1 pill is sufficient, 2 if you are super wired and need to sleep. It is important to only use the high quality stuff that contains only the root and not any other part of the plant. There is some talk that there may be a link to kidney/liver damage.

Personally, I use neither all the time, but chose Kava Kava for light help and Melatonin when I 'need' to sleep.

For those that don't like booze or drugs. Try a very dark room, airconditioning on cold, ear plugs, sleep mask and beating off.

Re: Re: When you MUST sleep

Falcon Capt said:
DO NOT mix Tylenol and alcohol, the Acetominophen (in the Tylenol) and alcohol can severly damage your liver...

So does a bottle of scotch a day.

saabtrash said:
oh oh, probably shouldn't take 3 tylenols before going to bed after going on an all night bender than huh?
Exactly... ;)

SpiderMan said:
So does a bottle of scotch a day.
You're right, thats why I drink Gin! :p :D

All joking aside, the Acetomenophen and alcohol will kill your liver much faster. :(

I'm not jaundiced yet!

Falcon Capt--Yup. I know about the problem with Tylenol and alcohol. It's certainly not a nightly habit for me--maybe twice this year, so far.

Besides, I figure I've been working out my liver pretty good and it's nice and strong. Or maybe just a big callous, I don't know.

At least the whites of my eyes are still white.

I'm surprised there was only one vote for sex (and one for "beating off").

I'll have to look into the Kava Kava and Provigil thing.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back