• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

When would majors hire again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In August, the first class of new hires will start at one of the majors, by June of 2008 it will look like the summer of 1997. Check the cycles of the lay offs in 83, 93,

Pretty good stuff; not far off.

The first guy talking about Delta not hiring for another 5-6 years was pretty much dead on. They starting hiring off the street a couple years back for a short time before stopping all together.

I love this post being brought back to life.

It proves not one of us knows whats going to happen in the future.

Riddle me this! Why all this desire to make it to the majors?

Is it to fly a big airplane, is it to get good pay, is it to impress the ladies?

Why go to a major? Pretty simple, actually. Just because UsAir pilots make considerably crappier pay than us, CAL Mgt. can't replace us with UsAir pilots doing our flying under their crappy contract and kick us all to the curb. At XJT however, CAL Mgt. could (and did) replace us with Mesa, CHQ, or (name your bottomfeeder here) whenever they feel like it. I traded short term job security for long time career security and like everyone else here, won't know until my 60th birthday if I made the right choice. It's always better to work for the company that sells the tickets, than the company that sells the tickets' biatch!

DAL to hire 438, +/-150 furlough bypass accepting recall, +/- 60 or so flowthroughs from Mesaba and Compass: around 225 off the street in the coming months....

DAL to hire 438, +/-150 furlough bypass accepting recall, +/- 60 or so flowthroughs from Mesaba and Compass: around 225 off the street in the coming months....

438-150=288

If you figure 6 classes of 48 each....29 in each class comes from Compass/Mesaba=174

More like around 114 off the street

This ofcourse depends on the number and size of the new hire classes

Because working at the worst Major would beat working at the best regional!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back