When will UPS start hiring?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

H25BCPTN

Does UPS need to start hiring pilots as soon as a new contract is signed or will it be late next year? Any information would be great.

Thanks and Fly Safe.

While the company still suggests we are fat on pilots (which is a total farce) no one around here believes that any hiring will be done until after our new contract is signed.

I am relatively new on the property so based on the remarks from the more senior guys we won't see a signed contract for about 2 years. Hopefully UPS CAPT will give his insights on the issue.

However, when the new contract is signed and the 130+ over 60 guys that we have on the property retire and we accept more aircraft (several Airbus and MD-11 arrivals in the next several years) I would suspect that we will need at least 300-400 new bodies here right away.

Again this all depends on the contract.

Hope this helps. (sorry the news isn't any better than this)

Fly Safe

As BrownTailGuy stated, I don't expect UPS to begin hiring until after the next contract has been negotiated and ratified. If history is any indicator when dealing with UPS and negotiations, it'll be another couple of years, at least, before that happens.

Hiring

I believe the company won't hire until the boxes stop moving....that's all they reall care about.

Because of the union "recommendation" that we should each think about the value of enjoying our time off rather than working extra...the system is bending. The reserves are working a lot harder and the non-union management pilots are being taxed to the max with a combination of flying and non-flying duties in a 16 hour day. There is a lot of room in our contract to build lines over guarantee, so I think that will keep them from having to hire, while at the same time, pissing off their pilot group...especially senior guys that have had it easy for a long time with long block off, clean, commuter friendly, schedules. The boxes are moving with the combination of a few guys accepting JA/OT and heavy management flying...so there isn't a problem in the companies official view. The company will want to get rid of the over age 60 F/E's and I would assume our new contract will have better work rules which will make them hire more....I'm just not holding my breath.....

You really think that it will be two years before they start hiring again?

Will UPS still honor all the pilots in the pool? I don't mind waiting in the pool for a job but I want to know that it will still be there when they start hiring.

I don't see any reason for them not to honor those in the pool. HOWEVER. Reason is not something that is used with any frequence my UPS Management.

But as UPS Capt has said, and the rumors around here go. It will probably be 2 years until we see anything worth voting for.

Hopefully they'll have something for us at the end of this year worth voting for.

I both agree and disagree with "Browntailguy" "de727UPS" and "UPSCapt"

The part I agree with you guys on is that I also dont think we will hire until the contract is signed and that will not happen until UPS has exhausted every single aspect of dirty play in contract negotiations.

I agree that we will never drive our point home to the company as long as these selfish few continue to pick up open time and except JA's... Yes they are allowed to per our contract, but Our Union has made the rules of "war" perfectly clear, and these guys are out to make there own rules and have their own interpitation of what should be right and not right.

I do however disagree with your reasoning about the Sr 130 FE's leaving when the ink is dry on the next contract... In my humble opinion, these guys are going nowhere. Why whould they, they already have made the adjustment to moving to the back seat, they have the best schedules, get the most time off, get the most vacations, and make the most money for doing the least amount of work... All of these things should be changed for the better and in their (Our) favor on the next contract. Why would they leave. If any of these guys were interested in leaving, they would have taken the early out offer the company just offered them. The offer gave them cash and future retirement from the next contract to be signed, but only a few took it... Most of these FE's need to be here (for the money) and obviously are in no position to retire right now or in the near future when they can make even more money for doing the same thing. Maybe Im wrong, but I dont see them leaving... What do you think UPS guys???

You may be right about some of the old farts staying. I cannot forsee myself working until I am 70. Especially after all of the back side of the clock flying we do that will definitely have an adverse affect on our longevity on this earth in the long run.

Of course I am not complaining about the night stuff. I love it here. But why work till your 70 and then take a dirt nap 2 years later?

I certainly hope they decide to leave and enjoy retirement.

Fly Safe

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back