• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wheels that light up on Roll A Board

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are you freaking kidding me? This morning a goofy-looking FO in GSP was pulling along his rollaboard at O Dark Thirty, and all I see are his sissy wheels lighting up all pretty like. Was a US Air Express guy...who flies there, PSA, Mesa, TSA? Never seen that before, except on some 8-year old kid's wheels on his skates. I felt embarrassed for him, he looked so stupid. It took all I could not to walk up and smack him...where do they find these tools?
This is not one of my b.s. threads either, really happened today.

PSA, Piedmont, and Air Wisconcin all overnight in GSP. He is probably at Air Whisky. The water in Philly does things like that to people.

You didn't get the memo?

The guy was in compliance with Stage I bag anti-collision requirements. Stage II will require a beeper as well. :p

While I agree those things look stupid one anyone's rollaboard, pax included, allow me to ask this: What the hell does it matter to you? Live and let live, man...

Now that I've got that outta the way...

Bob and Dan on The Ticket in DFW do a weekly bit called "Gay or Not Gay"...so I follow up with this question:

Light-up wheels on your rollaboard...Gay or Not Gay?

Another contradicting post of yours.....

You chide the poster for labeling the guy with light up wheels, then you go on to label him gay or not gay.....

There is a difference between the dispatch center dress code and image and the public image....

Light up wheels infantize the professional image. It makes pro pilots look like Kidults. How about a rainbow beenie with a propeller on the top?

Another contradicting post of yours.....

You chide the poster for labeling the guy with light up wheels, then you go on to label him gay or not gay.....

There is a difference between the dispatch center dress code and image and the public image....

Light up wheels infantize the professional image. It makes pro pilots look like Kidults. How about a rainbow beenie with a propeller on the top?
I didn't label it anything. I was pointing out that it would likely be an entertaining subject to discuss on that particular segment...thus why I posted the link for context. I could go into a grammatical argument that "Gay or Not Gay" is not even a legitimate "label" due to the presence of the word "or"...but I digress.

Yes, I think we agree they look stupid. However, the question remains...is it hurting you personally? Sure, your always predictable retort is going to be, "Yes, it hurts the profession". So, I'll go ahead and start from there...

Don't you think those in "the profession" have bigger fish to fry than complain about how a guy with light-up wheels "drags down your professional image"?

You act as though I am clueless as to the concept of "public image" since I work out of the public eye. I'll spare you my somewhat extensive resume' for someone of my age and just throw out there that "public image and perception" was my primary job for 10+ years and has been the focus of my side job as a PR consultant since I left it full-time (I'm pretty damn good at what I do, I just find it boring).

Believe me, as far as your profession goes...thanks to the almost irreparable harm done by the lack of proper public relations skill of your unions and a few bad apples that make the news for drinking and flying...the public already perceives you as "whiny and unprofessional", with or without the help of one guy in GSP toting around a rollaboard that looks like it has wing strobes. If anything, a passenger sitting in the terminal that sees that guy walks away with a perception of a pilot that actually might like his job...a rarity in the view the average pax.

You often talk about the lack of professionalism amongst pilots in the way they dress...yet you spend so little time discussing how so many senior pilots carry themselves with an air of unprofessionalism and treat their pax & fellow industry employees like dirt. You complain about the amount of hair gel a regional FO uses, yet you rarely speak of working to mold them into skilled professional pilots and helping them become excellent captains when the time comes for that FO to upgrade. Perhaps the time spent by hardcore old-school guys, like yourself, complaining online and attempting to supress the few things a person in this business can use to express their personality and individuality could be better spent mentoring those pilots you complain about to become better operational decision makers and ambassadors to your profession...instead of the stoic, less than personable, "my way or the highway" type of old. Concentrate on what really matters...the rest takes care of itself.

Last edited:
Nice try to label me Walter!! but you are quite wrong....again....

You can search my posts and you'll find no reference to hair gel and quite a few references to supporting low time regional FO's and molding them into professionals instead of treating them as wonder kids that live in Mom's basement... IOW I support all pilots, even free loading OO pilots....``````

Back to your In and Out burger.....!!

We have a couple of em at ASA. Thats right up there with the FO who wears those ridiculously large white plastic framed sunglasses. What a ******************************bag.

We have a couple of em at ASA. Thats right up there with the FO who wears those ridiculously large white plastic framed sunglasses. What a ******************************bag.

Interesting observation:

When roller bags first hit the scene years ago, it drew the same type comments from the Macho Men of Aviation! Now, how many pilots still carry the old black Samsonite hard side that was so popular then?

What's wrong with accessories? Most have some type of bag stickers, water-buffalo flight bags, or crew base streamer on their bag? Where do you draw the line, or do you?

I can hardly wait until they invent some type of Jado bottle, thrust assist for my roller board! Might be a little noisy, but sign me up! I want to be the first kid on the block to have one!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back