Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's your tolerance for this type of stuff?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Horizon

Thrust=Weight+Drag
Apparently you can find anything on the internet. I've come across several audio files containing actual CVR recordings from fatal airline crashes. It's not like a movie though, this is the real deal. These people are going to die, and they know it. I haven't listened to any of them yet, but I'm considering it. Would you call me a p*ssy if I admitted that I'd pretty much rather pass them by than listen to them? Still though, that curiosity remains....

Last edited:
The NTSB usually removes any non-pertinant dialogue from the tapes when they release them to the public. You may hear a few expletives, but aren't going to hear anything morbid. It may be interesting to listen to the tape just to drive home that accidents are more than just statistics.

Not true. Some of the websites have full and un-edited copies. Some of them are pretty harry indeed.

I'd say it's not as bad as one of those decapatations they played on the radio in Iraq, but close to it. I heard a few once, that was enough for me in this lifetime... I'd say it's definately a good example of why it pays to have situational awareness at all times (In regard to the aircraft that approached the closed runway and hit a crane in Mexico, I don't rmember which one it was...)

urflyingme?! said:
Not true. Some of the websites have full and un-edited copies. Some of them are pretty harry indeed.

I'd say it's not as bad as one of those decapatations they played on the radio in Iraq, but close to it. I heard a few once, that was enough for me in this lifetime... I'd say it's definately a good example of why it pays to have situational awareness at all times (In regard to the aircraft that approached the closed runway and hit a crane in Mexico, I don't rmember which one it was...)

Ah, I must have only heard the edited ones.

I have no desire to listen to unedited ones. The guys who accidently get themselves into IMC are scary enough for me.

Horizon, if you don't need to listen to them, don't. It's only a sort of voyeurism if you do, 'cause you can draw all the lessons you need from transcripts.

I have had to listen to some, as well as to ATC tapes, during the course of an accident investigation. It's an intensely powerful, but personal, experience when you know the pilots involved. I disapprove -- strongly! -- of these tapes being released to the public (which would include pilots not on the need-to-hear list).

BTW, there are CFR videotapes, too; at least there were in the accident investigation I took part in. Thank Dog I haven't seen these tapes in the "public record" -- yet.

Last edited:
Hard Cheese. If you are flying equipment with CVR then your last words might get into the public domain. It may be morbid, but it is one of the potential unfortunate outcomes of your career.

Morbid's got nothing to do with it. It's an invasion of privacy. IMO.

Last edited:
I chose not to watch the hostage decapitations. I'm not squeemish, but I saw no need to witness that man's death. It served no purpose for me to watch other than satisfy some morbid curiosity. I chose to honor whatever dignity he may have had left and not view it. It's the same thing with these types of tapes. I want to listen to edited versions for the educational value of learning from somebody else's mistakes. I don't want to hear and do not need to hear their last personal moments of terror and fear. Again, it serves no purpose other than morbid curiosity. I think the unedited versions should be classified and heard only by those with a need to know.

BTW, assuming there is a commercial component to most websites, it's highly possible that some a$$hole is making a buck by making those tapes available on the net. No frigging way I'm gonna support that by letting their visitor counter use me to up their profit.

Latest resources

Back