What's up with UAL and the Jumpseat?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Floatplane

An LAX agent told me that UAL and their regional partners will no longer allow unlimited jumpseats on every flight. He showed me a letter stating that only 1 jumpseat per flight and the pilot must sit in the actual jumpseat. I hope that this gets squashed by your jumpseat committee soon or I see a lot of your pilots getting some heat.

UAL has no control or input over "their regional jet partners". Or maybe you missed the memo about how they are NOT UAL. Completely different companies with their own jumpseat rules.

UAL's jumpseat rules have not been changed. Unlimited.

Bring the heat.

I love getting threatened by these regional pilots. As stated above, go ahead bring the heat.

For what it's worth there has not been a change in our domestic jumpseat policy.

Last edited:
UAL has no control or input over "their regional jet partners". Or maybe you missed the memo about how they are NOT UAL. Completely different companies with their own jumpseat rules.

UAL's jumpseat rules have not been changed. Unlimited.

Bring the heat.

Thanks for the reply, I was just passing along some information and asking a question. No need to get yourself into a huff!

Thanks for the reply, I was just passing along some information and asking a question. No need to get yourself into a huff!

Please keep in mind your source. CSR's at UAL are certainly not considered pilot friendly.

My ire is more pointed towards your source and mis-information being spread in the form of said letter.

I love getting threatened by these regional pilots. As stated above, go ahead bring the heat.

For what it's worth there has not been a change in our domestic jumpseat policy.

No threats were made big Heavy Metal guy! Just a question and it was answered. I take many of your pilots from IAD to florida every time I fly, I'm not looking for a jumpseat war. I just was stating that if this is in fact true I could see your pilots getting some heat over it. I could care less about what your regional partners do, I can address that myself.

According to our JS coordinator this has been taken care of. A little arm twisting by UA, a little ignorance, and a little misinformation. They wanted the jumpseater to occupy the actual, but you can't do that unless all the seats in the back are full.

Unfortunately these guys are quick to put out memos, and not so quick to put out the retraction. So there's going to be some confusion for a while.

Last edited:
Any source or copy of the new memo (retraction) or anything we can show a gate agent?
All the ones I have talked to, are under the impression of one jumpseater only.

PM me and I will give you a copy of the latest memo....

Actually if you are in fact an OO pilot you can find it on SWOL under CS documents.

For all others.... there IS a memo that was handed down from UAL to SkyW stating no more jumpseats. After a few quick calls to managment (and then UAL management from our management) the memo was changed to include verbage "does not include pilots".

You should have no problems jumpseating on a skywest UAX flight because of this memo. If you do file the complaint, and we will get it fixed.

Latest resources

Back