What's up with this?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

onthebeach

How/why is the Coast Guard outsourcing maintenance to Canada?

7/13/2004
Title C-130 Pilot
City Edmonton
State AB
Country Canada
Position Type Part Time
Job Description Pilot required to conduct Acceptance Check/Functional Check Flights (FCF's) for U.S. Coast Guard HC-130H aircraft following a Progressive Structural Inspection (PSI) overhaul and maintenance period. FCF's will abe conducted in accordance with USCG CGTO 1C-130-6CF. The FCF's will be approximately 3 days in duration every 4 to 5 months. Candidate may be required to ferry aircraft to and from the owning unit to the appropriate repair facility. Candidate may also be required to conduct basic instruction and currency events.
Required Experience This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. To obtain a security clearance, US citizenship is required.

Must be qualified in mission, type, and design with not less than 1000 first-pilot time. A minimum of 300 hours as first-pilot must be in C-130 aircraft. Must have FAA commercial pilot or Airline Transport Pilot rating with appropriate category endorsements. Must be able to pass FAA Class II flight physical. Must be capable of passing physiological training. Requires 8 or more years of related experience.
Desired Experience Previous experience in depot-level FCF profiles is highly desired. Previous or present flight instructor qualifications are also desired.
Education or Certification Requirements Bachelor degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Amount of Travel Required for Position 0%-25%
Apply

Labor is cheaper in Canada. The company I used to do contract work for moved a good percentage of that work to Canada. The exchange rates make the work cheaper for people who are just a qualified and even speak English.

On the other side of the coin, it is fairly retarded that an entity of the United States Government would outsource work to a foreign country, even if it is Canada.

The Navy H-3 Depo Level Maintance facility is in Canada. Halifax I think. Wonder if it is the same reasoning.

The reason is that every US contractor we have tried for the last 10 years has completely screwed us. They overcharged us, delivered planes way over schedule and in the end gave us back the planes far worst off than when we sent them. The Candadians haven't been a whole lot better but they have been better. I have wished many times that I could take the jack a$$ who did the overhaul work up for its first post mx test flight. That might change their attitude about quality and attention to detail,although I doubt it. Sorry about the rant.

Fly Safe

ck130

It is a trade thing

It is most likely an I will do something for if you do something for me. Like a country says that it will buy a certain US mil airplane, but they get some type of incentive to make the deal attractive. I am sure the Canadians farm out maintenance on some of their airplanes to the US. I went through BE-200 training at Simuflite in 1996 with a FAA guy who had lived in Canada for 1.5 years while his FAA airplane was being modified. Canada is our biggest trade partner. More trade takes place across two bridges in the Detroit area than all of the trade coming from Japan.

Latest resources

Back