What's up at Southern

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Classicdriver

I'm seeing a lot fewer SA planes out there. Rumors of Korean Air not renewing ACMI contracts and actually canceling one before it was complete.

No words on the boards because of firing of some posters, so no info out there. No rumors of furloughs. How about hiring? What's up with scheduling? Any better?

Also heard rumors out there that the KAL contract has gone elsewhere, but I can think of only two possibles, Evergreen or Kalitta??

Holy Juggs Victor!!!

I have no mammoary what I was gonna say.

Never mind, tit was a mistake, I'll just go back to reading some more threads.

Well,

There's been a shift in flying out of Asia, everyone's shipping less cargo = less of a need for ACMI. We have the 3 Cargo 360 and 2-3 Southern Air paint job birds still working Korea, nothing to China/HK at this time.

We still have the same amount of planes, they have just shifted to places that you probably are not at.

Europe and Africa are our big markets now, along with DOD, and South America.

Not exactly "walk in the park" kind of flying, but it pays the bills, and will probably still keep us busy for some time.

Most Recent word on hiring was possibly early '09, the B777 orders are running late due to the strike.

Other than that, pretty much the same here at SAI

Last edited:
From the CP at SAC

New Hire Classes. As we get past the "busy" season and the holidays, we will be in a much better place to determine our hiring needs. At the moment, it will most definitely be after the 1st quarter, sometime after March. Part of this is due to the 777s being pushed back and also the fuel price hikes and all customers being affected. Other considerations are the aircraft in the inventory and the plans for them. A couple will reach their LOV, limit of validity from Boeing, and plans will be made when the time comes as to what to do with these aircraft. They will be due for major checks, but without support from Boeing, what will be the best choice at the time is the question. Giving the all the factors involved, new hire classes in the beginning of the year will probably not be until sometime after March. If you have anyone that may be looking at us in the future, please let them know it will most likely be after that date for new hires.

best way to apply to southern?

show them an EKG so they know you have a pulse.

Seriously, I simply mailed a resume. I had zero internal recommendations, zero 121 and zero experience in aircraft over 40,000 pounds. Last year, they interviewed me and offered me the job.

show them an EKG so they know you have a pulse.

Seriously, I simply mailed a resume. I had zero internal recommendations, zero 121 and zero experience in aircraft over 40,000 pounds. Last year, they interviewed me and offered me the job.

Bear in mind, that was LAST year. Before several airlines shut down and flooded the market with pilots.

Latest resources

Back