What's Up at CommuteAir

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MJG

What's the deal over there these days??? Anyone know?? Something about the contract was up on the first of March?? Good to see you guys still flying.

We (XJET CLE) keep hearing all kinds of crazy rumors these days, apparently we don't have enough of our own to keep us busy.

MJG said:
What's the deal over there these days??? Anyone know?? Something about the contract was up on the first of March?? Good to see you guys still flying.

We (XJET CLE) keep hearing all kinds of crazy rumors these days, apparently we don't have enough of our own to keep us busy.

Actually it's CommutAir (no E)

Well, you're about 1/3 right, Amish -- we do have low wages. (Not Great Lakes low, but pretty low.) But it's not a "crappy place to work," pay aside. There are all kinds of things that "better" places do, like junior manning, that simply don't happen here. I'm never afraid to answer my phone.

And you're dead wrong about the maintenance -- the equipment is maintained extremely well. It's very rare for an MEL to live more than a day or two, and it's almost unheard of to carry multiple MELs. They may be small, but we take very good care of them. You can tell whoever you "heard" that from that they're getting -- and giving -- bad information about our company.

MJG, to answer your question, it isn't the CAL contract that's up -- in fact, that's been extended and improved. It's something to do with the leases on the 1900s; I'm not sure of the exact details. But it looks like things are falling into place to exchange the bulk of the fleet to larger turboprops, probably to the DHC-8-200 (I hope) or Saab 340B+. The timeframe and equipment choice are still TBA, but that's what the big day was.

Last edited:
I recently left CommutAir but can back up CA1900. MX there is top notch. No junior manning, 12 days off per bid (28 days/bid), no pressure from mgmt to push the limits (you say it's unsafe - end of story) and the best crews to fly with.

CommutAir does have its problems, don't get me wrong, but overall I enjoyed my five years there.

stupidwork said:
Any word on if they are hiring....what are there mins???

Not currently hiring. If attrition continues (it will) and fleet plan is implemented (it might) hiring will be required this spring. Mins have historically been 900 Total/100 Multi. Internal recommendations are highly valued, especially at the beginning of a hiring swing.

That said, if you want to fly for CommutAir, I'd recommend getting a resume in now. Via a company pilot, if possible. When they start hiring, it will likely be with little notice, so there won't be much time to collect resumes.

NEDude, that is one bad-looking dog.

QP

Latest resources

Back