Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Whats the percentage % of Washouts? any one knows?

MEXICANFLYBOY

I want to find out whats the washouts rate at the regionals, I only heard the guys that get hire, but what about the guys that don't make it? does that stay on your FAA Record? how does that works?

have you washout? tell me more about it!

thanks

Well it all depends on where you go...
S.H. at CHQ his pass rate is 10%--I think the initals say it all...S... Head

R.J. at CHQ his pass rate is 90% or so until you go to an interview and they ask if you have ever failed a check ride, you say "NO" but Johnson-face Rick put a fail on your record because he is a spineless bastard

Pretty sure the airline must report a resignation due to poor performance in training to PIRA--but on that you resigned. I would say is way less than 20% probably closer to 8%-10% or so.

But why does it matter, if you want the job you should prepare yourself to make it through the class--not just pass enough to not fail out of the program.

When I was at SkyWest, we had only 1-2% washout in ground school for academics. We would lose another 1-2% on sim/FTD and another 1% on IOE. We had exactly 1 washout for (would you believe?) static. Overall, I think the success rate was around 95%.

Those with English as a second language or with limited turbine time had their special challenges.

Speaking from a training standpoint, it's getting very difficult to keep washouts to a minmum. Since over the last few years the average time and experience for new hires has fallen by almost 70%.

Most guys have great attitudes and want to learn, but the fact remains the experience level is just not there. I find myself teaching things like basic attitude instruments, energy management and even things like remembering to add power when levelling off after a descent.
This leaves little time to run through the amount system failures that we used to be able to do.

Some simply can't make it within the programmed time, plus an extra sim or two.

The guys who realize their experience handicap and are resourceful enough to study harder on their own rather than expect to be spoon fed usually do quite well.

Last edited:
Most guys have great attitudes and want to learn, but the fact remains the experience level is just not there. I find myself teaching things like basic attitude instruments, energy management and even things like remembering to add power when levelling off after a descent.
Most of the new guys know how to fly. It's mostly a matter of getting them used to all the new bells and whistles and the faster pace of the airline environment. Some of the training programs need to be revised to match the experience level of the trainees.

I want to find out whats the washouts rate at the regionals, I only heard the guys that get hire, but what about the guys that don't make it? does that stay on your FAA Record? how does that works?

have you washout? tell me more about it!

thanks

At ASA it is about 3%.

I don't know if these results are typical but at Skyway in 2004 8 of 11 passed (73%) 328JET initial training. I don't think anyone in the class had jet experience. Everyone who washed out did so in the simulator.

In 2005 at Comair 10 of 12 passed (83%) CRJ initial training. Two of us had jet experience and both passed. Both failures washed out in the simulator.

In my experience the pass rate at Skyway and Comair combined is 78%, I'm sure the rate varies greatly from company to company. Interestingly in every case the failures were the oldest guys in class. I have no idea what that means, if anything.

Out of my class at Eagle one guy on the saab was asked to resign during sim training. The one and only ATR guy busted his checkride and had a retaining session and passed second attempt. Four guys on the EMB busted the ride, retrained, and passed second attempt.

The way I understand it is if it's an INHOUSE SIC qualification ride it does not go on record that it was failed the first time around. The information is contained in your training folder which is destroyed (all failures included) at the end of training. In short, after your folder goes through the shredder there is no record of failed checkrides.....so the answer to "have you ever failed a 121 checkride" is...No. ***this does not apply to a PIC type ride

Out of my class at Eagle one guy on the saab was asked to resign during sim training. The one and only ATR guy busted his checkride and had a retaining session and passed second attempt. Four guys on the EMB busted the ride, retrained, and passed second attempt.

The way I understand it is if it's an INHOUSE SIC qualification ride it does not go on record that it was failed the first time around. The information is contained in your training folder which is destroyed (all failures included) at the end of training. In short, after your folder goes through the shredder there is no record of failed checkrides.....so the answer to "have you ever failed a 121 checkride" is...No. ***this does not apply to a PIC type ride

What do you think happens when you are not INHOUSE, like the guys that go on the RJ at FS, you do not perform to standards on one approach, get re-trained by the examiner and pass the second time, all in one day. No pink slip, instead SIC type. Any records on that? Did you fail the checkride?

I have alawys considered a failure to consist of a terminated checkride which did not result in achieving the desired qualification. If you have to go get retrained, and come back another day, that's a checkride failure, and will almost certainly be in your record at that airline (and therefore will show up on PRIA requests). Even if instructors tell you it won't...it's the law. Not sure why anyone would violate federal law just to keep a new-hire's training record spotless.

The grey area event is where you botched a manuver and were given "on the fly" retraining and then allowed to repeat the event with a subsequent pass, all in the same session. This retraining may be noted in your record, and may very well show up on a PRIA request. I would not consider this a checkride failure, but might mention it at an interview just to deflect any confusion in case it shows up on PRIA... "I never failed a checkride, but I did have to repeat a no flap landing once during a checkride".

Latest resources

Back