Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's the easiest way to get my A&P from work experience?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SevenDos

Ludacris Speed
As the title says.. I'm in South Florida, anybody know a examiner or school that will make this easy to take an oral and practical?

SevenDos:

What I do know is this: The FAA is cracking down on this in a big way.

Used to be you could have your good 'ole A&P/IA friend write a letter and say that you worked for him for 30 months.

What I have been told (by an DME) is this: Now if you expect to get the A&P on practical experience, the FAA interprets the 30 month rule to mean 8 hours per day for 30 months, under the supervision of an A&P. 40 hour work-week, NOT flying for four hours, and hanging around an A&P for several hours per day, for 30 months.

They expect a logbook with an endorsement from an A&P of each Subject Matter experience received.

If in South Florida, I would goto Broward. Quick and cheap program.

Hope this helps.

What kind of experience do you have, SevenDos?

Thanks wooferdog. That's what I needed to hear. I don't have 8 hour days for 30 months. I do have several years of part time experience doing repairs and inspections on props and more recently I've asisted in A and B checks on heavier metal. I also to rep and test fly airplanes out of C check. and I do know how to do the work, I have no problem demonstating it. I guess the good 'ol boy days are over. I don't want to have some fed bust my balls over "work experience."

The requirement for the 30 months of experience to have been full time has always been the case. However, in general, the FAA has long taken the word of a certificated mechanic, employer, or other authoritative source in vouching for the experience. I have also seen the Administator demand proof of full time employment, and rightfully so.

Having obtained a statement for the FAA, short coruses are available through Bakers or Kings or other such places that enable you to wrap up your efforts and come away with the certificate in pocket.

When I did my certificate, I had about six years cumulative experience, which I documented by aircraft registration and work done on each aircraft, as well as about half a dozen letters from former employers attesting to the full time work done. After obtaining the authoirzation to test, I studied on my own for a year before going to a community college designated examiner. There I took an eight hour practical exam, and passed. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Bakers School in Nashville

I have a friend that went to Baker's School of Aeronautics and loved the school. They WILL get you ready for your written and oral. They have a guarantee you will Pass. So once you have your sign-off call Bakers. I am in NO WAY associated with the school. Just going by my friends recommendation.

Latest resources

Back