Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mullet

scattered,covered,chunked
On my last trip I jumped into the cockpit and was going over the clearance and the FO said that clearance had called us 'Pathfinder'. Asked me if I knew what it meant and I just thought the controller was making a funny. 2 days later I heard it again. Anyone know exactly what that means.
I assume it was due to being the first one through a line of bad weather. Am I right? Please enlighten me!

no idea, but your avatar rocks! I wish they had some here in central Illinois!

Hi...

You are correct.

When there is bad weather and there is doubt as to whether there is a route available, a flight will be known as "Pathfinder" and is usually done on a volunteer basis. Depending on how the airframe is equipped, crew qualifications and other factors, a flight may or may not be a pathfinder candidate.

Regards

mullet

You weren't in CLE on July 4th were you?

A bunch of airplanes had diverted to CLE because of weather in DTW and one of ours was sent as the "Pathfinder" to see if the route would be good. I hadn't heard of it either until then.

Still learning I guess!

I think the FAA built it off the idea of tunnel rats or something; regardless I’d turn down the dubious distinction to become a “pathfinder”, sounds suicidal especially in the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** I fly.

Out of Denver when the late afternoon boomers start dying down, they usually send out a Great Lakes B1900 through the previously closed departure routing. They like to call them "Trailblazers" out there.

Can't tell you how many times I've heard United ask "Is the Plains 2 clear yet? " with the standard response "We just sent up a trailblazer, we'll let you know if they make it."

Makes you wonder whether you should be proud or feel stupid to be "the pathfinder."

Latest resources

Back