• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's the best way to learn weather?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The SA 226 and SA 227 are both Part 23 a/c. The SA 226 had a MAX gtw of 12,500 depending on engine and props, and required NO type rating. The SA 227 had a mgtw of 14,500 or 16,000 depending on mods (mainly ldg gear) and required a type rating.

I would have to agree with the previous poster however, in terms of "all" PIC. While in comparison to transport category jet airliners, the Metro is just another turbo-prop. However, it is complex enough and there are alot of folks that flew them in their regional heyday that you may come across at an interview. You may want to be cautious about logging all PIC. For a turbo-prop it is a complex, and convoluted design that does not lend itself to someone jumping in and acting as PIC without some pretty thorough training.

Just some food for thought. These are the basics, if you want to get into specifics, I could talk about the old "sewer pipe" all day...lol

The flying I did in the SA-226 was 20 years ago. I never went to a class nor did I know the systems. It was part 91 and there wasn't a legal requirement to do so. I would have love to have done so had the training been provided. I did fly all I logged though. There were many trips that I didn't log. I wasn't alone there was someone plenty qualified in the other seat but I was sole manipulator of the controls. I knew enough about the systems to know when to turn the bleeds on and off, the methanol (your nose will let you know if you get the bleeds to soon after turning this one off) in my case it only took once to know to wait a few more seconds. I was to be trained formally in the a/c if hired full time but that never happened. They went to a single pilot operation after figuring out it would cost them some $18,000 a year to hire someone full time. My guess is that his wife had done it for free but I couldn't afford to.

RT

Latest resources

Back